Sunday, February 3, 2013

Theater Whore: Zero Dark Thirty


Out of the nine pictures up for best picture at the Academy Awards I have seen seven of them. Why in the hell are there nine movies being nominated?! That’s too much. Tonight I watched Zero Dark Thirty against everything I told myself about the director, Kathryn Bigelow. Not a huge fan of hers and, well, I already know how this movie ends. Yes, I saw Titanic knowing how it ended as well. Shut up. This movie is about the team sent to kill Bin Laden and one woman’s mission to get people to pay attention to her.


There are a lot of actors in this movie but the main one is Jessica Chastain who no matter what anyone says assures everyone that she knows what she is doing and refuses to give up on her searches. The film is almost three hours long and it feels it. Most of the movies up for nomination are at least two hours long but all of them didn’t feel that way. The problem I have with this movie isn’t the length, its that like Amour and Silver Linings Playbook, its not a bad film nor is it good. That’s not to say the acting, cinematography, or story were bad. I just judge movies on whether or not I would see it again or recommend it to someone. I wouldn’t recommend this unless I knew you were a fan of this genre or the people involved in making it.


A lot of the movies I have seen lately have been this way. I wouldn’t tell someone to rush to the theaters to check this out. Just wait till its on video. Chastain…I’m not sure if she was miscast the same way Jennifer Lawrence was or what. But I didn’t feel any weight to what she was doing. It felt like any actress could’ve done that part and been just as good. It also bothered me that she didn’t age a day in all the years she was away. Same nice hair, clear skin, and weight the whole time. I know folks who look different now than they did in 2010 and they didn’t spend years hunting a terrorist leader.

No comments: