Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Theater Whore: American Ultra


American Ultra 10/10

Slight spoilers. When I give a movie a rating that high it means that I got so into the movie I never checked the time, I didn't care who else was in the theater, and I wanted to see it again right after I was done. American Ultra met all of these so I had to give it a 10. The only reason I was willing to give this movie a try was because I'm a huge fan of Max Landis


Everything I have seen him write or talk about has thoroughly entertained me (hell, I got the Wrestling Isn't Wrestling shirt) so even though I'm not into Kristen Stewart or Jesse Eisenberg I sweated my ass to The Grove (probably my last time going there thank you very much usher playing his iPhone music during the movies credits I'll continue going to The Arclight on Sunset) and checked out the second showing of this.

Eisenberg plays this guy named Mike Howell that lives in West Virginia. Mike and his girlfriend Phoebe played by Stewart are extremely likable. I have to say this because it caught me completely off guard. They reminded me of Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. One of those couples you really want to make it because they seem perfect for each other. The posters and trailers make it seem like he is just a stoner and I was expecting that. He's actually a decent guy that just gets high a lot and loves his lady.


One night while at work he steps outside and a satellite scans him and reads him as an agent of this Ultra program. Mike can't leave the town he is in. Every time he tries he gets sick or has a panic attack. A CIA agent named Victoria Lasseter played by the hot Connie Britton is called by a mysterious voice telling her that the target, Mike, is going to be taken out. There's no negotiating. He's gonna get killed. She heads to his store and tries to get him to remember who she is and what he is through a series of code words. He thinks she is just crazy. Minutes later two men are dead in the parking lot at his hands.  

Adrian Yates played by Topher Grace is running the show now and is still using the Ultra program even though it is proven to be dangerous. He is one of the biggest assholes committed to film. I could not stand this guy. Everything he said made me hate him more. I also have to mention how funny John Leguizamo was as drug/weapons/fireworks dealer Rose. Oh, and Walton Goggins as Laugher! This guy was fucking terrifying! This was directed by Nima Nourizadeh and I don't know where he learned how to shoot a fight scene but I wish more people would go to that same place!


I could tell that this was going to be one of those movies that doesn't do too well in theaters but when it available to buy it is gonna do great. I think the drug aspect was played up too much when this seemed to me to be more of a love story/action movie which is a hard thing to pull off but they did it. They fucking did it. Before I forget, the music in this was cool as hell. I really enjoyed this movie. This summer has been full of crumby ass movies with one or two sprinkled in to give me hope. This one will for sure be in my top ten favorites of the year.

Click here for previous Theater Whore

No comments: