Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Curtain Call: A Soldier's Play


A Soldiers Play 10/10


This past weekend L. took me to see A Soldier's Play. I didn't plan on going when she first mentioned it because I saw the movie and didn't feel a need to see the play. I see live theater with music and happy and we had watched A Soldier's Story fairly recently and I thought it would be a bummer live. I was super wrong. This was one of the best shows I have seen (and it had some music!). They made great use of such a minimal set. Flashbacks done with different lighting. Beds slid back so an office could be brought in. The acting was just phenomenal and the show moved quickly and did not feel long at all.



The story covers the investigation of a Black sergeant that is murdered. Soldiers suspect it is a racially motivated murder and the captain does not want them heading into town to try and find the killer. A Black captain is brought in to investigate much to the chagrin of the bases captain who can not accept the fact that a Black man has been promoted to captain. Each solder is interviewed regarding their relationship with the dead sergeant and none of them sound all that good. He portrayed evil too easily and was far meaner and hateful than he was in the movie. Maybe it was the seeing it in person that helped. Hell, seats were so close you could feel the energy crackling off of him. I would see this again if I could. I'm sure my lady would too to see some shirtless ass buff men in stage.


Norm Lewis

Eugene Lee

Will Adams

Brandon Alvión

Sheldon D. Brown

Malik Esoj Childs

Ja'Quán Cole

William Connell

Charles Everett

Alex Michael Givens

Matthew Goodrich

Chattan Mayes Johnson

Branden Davon Lindsay

Tarik Lowe

Al’Jaleel McGhee

Howard W. Overshown

Alex Ross


Click here for previous Curtain Call.

No comments: