Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Review: Goliath Season 2



Goliath Season Two 10/10

The problem was Billy Bob Thornton. I am not what you would consider a fan of the guy. I need to change that. I am a huge fan of him now after watching season two of Goliath on Amazon. The first season was really good and this second one wastes no time saying “Season one was cute compared to the shit we're gonna show you this season!” That is not even a knock on the first one seeing as how I gave it a 9/10. The was one character I did not like that affected that score. But this season gets so intense that it took me two days to finish one particular episodes because I did not know what the fuck was going to happen to folks. This is gonna have some spoilers so don't keep reading if you plan on checking this out. Hell, even if something gets spoiled you should still watch because this was eight pure episodes of an amazing show.


I have been trying my damnedest to get more people to watch this show not just because I loved it so much but because I want more quality shows like this made. Thornton is back as lawyer Billy McBride. After last season he has a lot of cash but still chooses to stay in a hotel and get drunk every night. He is walked home one night by the owner who tells him that his gang member sons were shot and killed. His son ends up being arrested for a second murder who is considered the good son and asks Billy to represent him. Billy declines but sets him up with someone else. Next thing you know dude gets murdered in broad daylight. Immediately Billy knows some shit is up because these crimes and killings are bigger than they need to be.


Ana de la Reguera plays Marisol Silva who is running for mayor. I had no idea that her story was going to be as complicated as it was and super evil. Not as evil as a couple other people this season but still. She bad. She wants the kid accused of murder set free because he was a good example of one of her programs for teens worked. Some very powerful people want her to drop this shit and she refuses to. She starts visiting and boning down with Billy. It seems pretty straight forward until you find out that she is working with Tom Wyatt played by Mark Duplass. I am gonna get into a bit of spoilers with this guy right now because something happened that made him by far one of the strangest, most twisted characters in television.


Okay. So he gets to his home one day and sits down and grabs a fancy ass remote. By this point we have seen him lose his temper and attack someone with a tennis racket, shouts at people, and be petty and cut some flowers and dump the dirt on Marisol's desk. Anyhoot, so he comes home and grabs this remote. He requests an H.R. Pufnstuf song in this makeshift kitchen. I thought it was on a screen but it is another room. This woman sits in a wheelchair and removes her prosthetic leg. Next a “mom” comes in and starts rubbing ointment on her stump. He proceeds to grab some lotion and get to jerking it. Shit made me drop my remote. I asked out loud “What the fuck am I even watching right now?!” They end up explaining this and you even learn where the woman with one leg (the mom has one arm) came from. You also learn why there are so many people with missing limbs in this show.


Nina Arianda returns as Patty Solis-Papagian and I love her in this show and want to be her friend in real life. Billy gets her involved in this case and she is not super excited. We get to meet the family that adopted her and see why she acts the way she does. We also get a taste of her self sabotaging behavior. Billy's daughter Denise played by Diana Hopper is back and living in Venice. She wants her dad to stop drinking and self sabotaging relationships. She loves that he is with someone she admires like Marisol but of course does not know the real deal. There is a scene where she ends up leaving some angry drunk messages and drunk driving like an idiot. I like the combination of her and Patty keeping Billy in check. They are also targets that can be used to get to Billy and the more he tries to protect them the worse shit gets.


One thing I like most about this show other than the acting, directing, writing, and music is that I am wrong a lot. I have discovered over the last few years that I enjoy being tricked by clever writing. Each time I pointed an accusatory finger at someone I was wrong. They don't do it in a you'll never figure this out way either. They just do it so well you don't expect it. There were so many times that this show could have gone in a comfortable direction and decided not to. If you have not seen this show I suggest you watch season one an two and enjoy one of the best seasons of a television ever. There is so much more I want to say but I want folks to be super shocked while watching this.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: