Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Review: Detroit Become Human



Detroit: Become Human 10/10

Well, this is a first. For those that don't know I watch people play video games on Youtube. People ask “Why would you watch other people play a video game?” which is a weird question to me considering I did it since I was a child. Just because video games were around when I was little didn't mean I always got to play them which meant I was just watching. These days I do not play video games anymore which is good because I was addicted to them years ago. What do I mean by that? I mean playing between 15-19 hours a day which is easy when I would work just about four hours a day and head home. I mostly watch H2ODelirious, Cartoonz, or Moo play games. I watch Game Grumps occasionally. Super Best Friends sparingly because they have shitty audio meaning they will blow my ears out shouting and I hate gamers that scream a lot. I like TheRadBrad but he plays way too cautiously and slow. For this game I watched Cartoonz play since he plays closest to how I'd play games if I still did.


Detroit: Become Human is probably the best video game I've ever watched someone play. You make choices in this game that affect the rest of your game play. You can save someone and later in the game they can save you or you can hurt someone and later they will refuse to help you. This felt like watching a movie where I knew that if I watched someone else play (or direct) it that it'd be different. It starts off slow with the characters getting you used to the monotony of android life.


Markus played by Jesse Williams helps out a dying artist at his home with a deadbeat ass son. There is Kara played by Valorie Curry who gets purchased after being heavily damaged. She is taken to a filthy home where a single father who abuses his young daughter while drinking and doing drugs. And there is Connor played by Bryan Dechart who is an android working as a detective chasing down defective androids known as deviants. Each of these stories came close together in the play through that I watched but when you finish each chapter it shows how much you missed by not looking around, talking to certain people, or even just picking up a magazine on the table.


This was written and directed by David Cage and this game could have easily been a really good series on Netflix but I prefer it as is because now I can watch other people play it and see which way they went in their stories. The music was really good as well as the acting. Watching the characters develop was fun and just watching and thinking “I wouldn't have done that” or “Do not trust that person!” was cool. Again, Cartoonz plays games in a way that is reckless at times but honest. He does not do certain things to just get views but plays the way a normal person would. Click here to check out the playlist for this game.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: