Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The Review: Fyre



Fyre 8/10

First things first. I will never feel bad for someone that is able to go to a shady sounding festival for thousands of dollars because they saw some models in a video and one of the people running it is named Ja Rule. I watched Fyre on Netflix and laughed way more than I thought I would. I also shook my head a lot in disbelief. This is a documentary about the shit show that was the Fyre Festival which I followed by watching TMZ as it happened. This was full of behind the scenes stuff and interviews with people who were part of running the festival, people who were helping to build it, facilitate the lunatic Billy McFarland whose idea it was to have this, and folks who actually went to the event. I knew this festival was bad with the tents people slept in instead of the damn near cottages on the beach they were shown online and the LAUSD sandwiches they were served. I did not know just how bad the whole thing was.


Pretty much McFarland wanted to give regular ass people the experience of being Pablo Escobar who I guess was a fan of music like Blink 182 and did copious amounts of frolicking and grab-assing. Those videos advertising these festivals did nothing for me. Models do nothing for me. Like professional ones. You can have a bunch of women in bikinis holding a bowl of Fruity Pebbles and a plate of bacon and it is not gonna make me want the cereal and bacon more than me just seeing them alone. But the shit worked. That and the fact that folks are easily led by social media. “Wait. A Jenner is posting about this?! I kinda, like, have to go, right?!” Fucking idiots. The fact that a Rule was so heavily involved should have been the reddest of flags. Ja Rule ain't been hot since I was 20 years old and I am gonna be 40 this year! You really gonna trust a festival with his name attached?!


So this McFarland dude ended up cheating a shit ton of people out of money. Then some more money. They even show the people that live and work on the island this shit show was happening at and how he ripped them off. The shit went deep. They even show video of the damage control that did not work. People were losing their mind over this show before it even started. People are shown arriving to the festival, seeing the tents, and gasping. The lies. The scandal. The lawsuits. The arrests. All that is shown. I loved this nonsense because it is so outside of my world. I know that there is a Hulu version but I don't have Hulu. I know one person that actually has that channel. This was enough. It was funny and silly as shit.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: