Saturday, December 14, 2019

Attack The Crock: American Gods



I'm not one to usually get down with people airing their grievances online, particularly public figures, but in this case it is so ridiculous that I have to write something about it. I watched the entire first season of American Gods and really liked it for the most part. It had its problems with it feeling rushed but I liked it. Episode seven was garbage but that isn't what this is about. I read the book again after watching the series and in hindsight I would rate the show much lower because the book could have been four to five seasons of a great show. I don't even know what they have done with season two and what they plan for season three. One thing not planned is the return of Orlando Jones as Mr. Nancy.

He recently posted a video stating “I know ya'll have LOTS of questions about the firing. As always I promise to tell you the truth and nothing but love. There will be no more Mr. Nancy. Don't let these motherfuckers tell you they love Mr. Nancy. They don't. I'm not going to name names but the new season 3 showrunner [Eglee] is Connecticut born and Yale-educated, so he's very smart and he thinks that Mr. Nancy's angry, get shit done is the wrong message for black America. That's right. This white man sits in that decision-making chair and I'm sure he has many black bffs who are his advisors and made it clear to him that if he did not get rid of that angry god Mr. Nancy he'd start a Denmark Vesey uprising in this country. I mean, what else could it be?”

Whenever Jones was on screen I knew it was gonna be some great shit. He was able to say things in a way that my ass could never verbalize. Every time he showed up I knew that the scene was improved dramatically. His portrayal of the character got me to pick up Anansi Boys. He was literally a scene stealer on a show about gods far more well known than the one he portrayed. Picturing Jones as Anansi aka Mr. Nancy was fun and I am still looking forward to him playing the character in the future. The only other Black characters on that show are Shadow and Yetide Badaki and they will use every chance they get to have her nude. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying.

As for the showrunner getting nervous about what Black America needs right now...come on. It reminds me of how upset people got about Watchmen after it debuted. Hell, all that talk I was reading made me wanna check that show out. Its not like they were lying. They were just saying that the majority doesn't exactly wanna see on TV. If only there was some way to ignore, turn off, or mute things you didn't want to hear about or see on television. Okay. To be fair let me go read what happens in season two. Laura is still on the show?! How in the blue fuck is that still happening?! Okay. Whatever. Even if I had a slight interest in watching this show knowing that Mr. Nancy won't be there and that Laura still is means I won't even give it a chance.

Click here for previous Attack The Crock.

No comments: