Sunday, March 21, 2021

The Review: WandaVision


WandaVision 10/10


Full of spoilers. Not even an hour combined. That is the amount of time that Wanda and Vision had on screen throughout all the MCU films. So who in the hell thought that it would even be okay to make an entire series focusing on two characters where one of 'em ain't even alive?! I don't know but I'm glad that they did because this show had no right to be as good as it was. Based on the trailer and the first few episodes I had so many questions and thankfully they answered all of them by the time the series wrapped up with nine episodes.



Before I get to the show I wanna rant about people online and reviewers regarding this show. You all are a bunch of whiny bitches. There were so many people mad about characters they had wrong and story lines not going how they thought they should go. Like many when Pietro showed up I thought “Oh shit. They bringing mutants!” That did not happen in the end and after reading my own damn blog where I recast the X-Men franchise (click here to read that) I am so glad they didn't. It would've muddied up what so far after over twenty films have been great...for the most part. So fuck bringing in new Pietro. He dead. Let him stay dead. People were like “It's not what I thought it was or should be so its terrible and I hate it!” Bunch of babies.



The series starts off like a wacky old sitcom which I liked since I grew up watching those shows. There would always be some weird Twilight Zone type shit thrown in towards the end or in little parts during the episode that seemed kinda creepy. The tone would suddenly change and yanked me out of the cheerful mood I was in and remembering “Oh, this lady is going through some shit and this dude is supposed to be dead.” They did such a good job of keeping the show flowing but not letting me forget that this was a Marvel based series. It looked beautiful.



I should probably talk about what the show is even about. After Vision was killed by Thanos permanently Wanda in her grief has taken over a town called Westview. She has turned all of the townspeople into characters in her own show. They secretly are being tortured by being controlled by Wanda. Vision slowly starts to realize things are wrong when neighbors seem off and mention things about not being able to leave. Vision eventually confronts Wanda and they damn near get into a fight. Oh, and when Wanda doesn't like how something is going she'll just rewind the shit. Its bananas.



One of the best characters to come from this show was Agnes/Agatha. She starts off as the nosy neighbor but shows signs that there is something up. By the end of the series it is revealed that she is hundreds of years old and a damn witch named Agatha Harkness. She was never under Wanda's control and wanted to know how Wanda was doing what she was doing. Turns out Wanda doesn't know. Agatha then wants to snatch all her powers for herself and use them. She fucks up by kidnapping Wanda's kids. Yes. Wanda has kids and was pregnant for like a day. The kids aged themselves up a few times and one has the speed of her brother Pietro and the other has her powers. I know of these characters from the comics.



Monica Rambeau was in the Captain Marvel movie as a child. In case you're wondering I hated that movie. I was so excited that they added her to this story. She is the original Captain Marvel but got screwed over the years (click here to read my rant about that stuff) so I am glad that she is here to be a bad ass. They show her point of view after The Blip when everyone vanished for five years. To her she took a nap while waiting for her mother in the hospital but in reality it was five years and her mothers cancer returned and she was dead. She went into the field surrounding Westview and becomes a character but with glitches. She mentions that Wanda's brother was killed by Ultron and Wanda tosses her ass out of Westview. Monica says that Wanda is suffering and not hurting anyone and wants to head back inside. Going back and forth through the field is changing her body which ultimately gives her powers that are still evolving. Amazing character.



By the time this series wraps up in nine episodes we have a bunch of potential new villains, heroes, and sidekicks. Fucking Jimmy Woo is awesome. He was in Ant Man and bumbling but likable and in this he is not only likable but useful as hell. I would watch an entire show about him solving weird crimes. Darcy appeared and I moaned in annoyance. I hated the first Thor movies and was not excited that she was included. Thankfully I was very wrong. Not only was she not annoying she was important to the story and figuring out to even watch what Wanda was doing inside of the dome she created.



This series had no right to be as entertaining as it was. The special effects, the story, the characters. Just everything about this show made me happy. I don't want or need a second season. Just let this continue onto the movies. Wanda is gonna be an amazing villain. Vision is gonna be interesting to see what he ends up doing. Of course I need to see what Monica gets into in space. Fuck. I am excited about all of the things that this series introduced into the MCU.

Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff

Paul Bettany as Vision

Debra Jo Rupp as Sharon Davis

Fred Melamed as Todd Davis

Kathryn Hahn as Agatha Harkness

Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau

Randall Park as Jimmy Woo

Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis

Evan Peters as Ralph Bohner

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: