Monday, November 15, 2021

The Review: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings


Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings 9/10


Full of all the spoilers. Holy shit I wish I could've seen this in theaters! This is the type of film my ass would have been in the theater the first week at a matinee with a bucket of popcorn and a soda. But no. We still in a damn pandemic and I'm not trying to sit in a theater with a bunch of other weirdos and pulling a mask down and sitting with the public like that. I mean, I did see that classic film months ago but this isn't about me being a hypocrite. Shang-Chi made me so happy about the upcoming MCU film because Captain Marvel and Black Widow stank so I was getting concerned. This movie fixed that by introducing a cool ass new hero that has a personality and fucking awesome looking powers but a villain that was crazy but also cool and had focus. I might watch this again while I'm writing.



This starts off with this dude named Xu Wenwu leading an army into battle. And by leading I mean he rushes forward alone, blocks out arrows with his rings, and wrecks all the shop. He old too. Like a thousand or something. In the 90's he decides to look for this place called Ta Lo. He finds it after the forest almost kills him and the guys he was with. He is stopped by this lady named Ying Li. He coming at her all aggressive an' shit and she is like “I'm bending air. Cut that out and let's fall in love.” He gives up his evil ways and she leaves and they have a son and daughter and everything is happily ever after.



I'm lying. His son Shaun witnessed his mother getting beaten to death by a gang that was looking for his father. His father went around having Shaun point them out and murdering them. When there was one left Shaun decided to run away and change his name from Shang to Shaun. He is a valet driver in San Francisco with his friend Katy who was probably the least enjoyable part of this. If she wasn't in this or if it were someone else this would have been a 10/10. But when she is on screen she is so on screen its distracting. I know who she is but don't know anything about her. In this she was just...I don't know. Distracting. One day he gets a letter from his sister he left behind and he goes to find her and she is a badass. She knocks his ass out and doesn't want him around. He like “Why you send a letter then?” She didn't send nothing. Its a damn trap!



I'm so glad that I was able to avoid spoilers for this movie. I barely knew anything about Shang-Chi before this movie started so I couldn't sit here and be mad about what was changed. The fights in this put most in the MCU to shame. Iron Fist better not show his face ever again. The music didn't annoy me even when it was modern. The costumes were good. The acting. Just so much about this movie is good except for my one person complaint. Check this out on Disney+.

Simu Liu as Xu Shang-Chi/Shaun

Awkwafina as Katy

Meng'er Zhang as Xu Xialin

Fala Chen as Ying Li

Florian Munteanu as Razor Fist

Benedict Wong as Wong

Michelle Yeoh as Ying Nan

Ben Kingsley as Trevor Slattery

Tony Leung as Xu Wenwu

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: