Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Curtain Call: The Wiz



The Wiz 6/10


I liked this show but whenever I talk about it I sound like I am just complaining about what I didn't like or was confused about. L. took me to see The Wiz at The Pantages (notoriously bad sound system) for my berfday after a nice dinner and avoiding crazy ass rain. I was excited when I saw that Wayne Brady was playing The Wizard of Oz after seeing him in Kinky Boots. Well, guess what? No Wayne. No Brady. Let me get to discussing the play. It starts off with...wait. I am not gonna sit here and type out what The Wiz is about. If you have seen The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz then I can say that this is a combination of the two which is kind of confusing. Its called The Wiz but Dorothy is in school and not a teacher. She is also on a farm and not in Detroit. This is me being puzzled from the start. I push that away and keep watching.



Dorothy lands in Oz and its like a mini second line (thanks, sugar) celebration for the witch being smashed by Dorothy's house. They tell her that she can get back home by finding the Wiz. Dorothy stumbles upon the Scarecrow. He is a pretty damn good singer. Then she finds the Tin Man who was my favorite. They later find the Lion who was very extra. They meet with the Wiz and he says he will help if they kill the wicked witch. The Wiz says that they are pretty much prisoners because of her which is why they stay in Emerald City. She was a good singer. I could understand her when she sang unlike the good witch played by Deborah Cox who suffered from Pantages sound system. I could not make out anything she sang and her dress blinded me multiple times.



The show was good but after finding out that they were still working out all the kinks I would have preferred seeing this perfected. From talking to my best friend and cousin they got Wayne Brady. One didn't get a song that L. and I did. All of us complained about the sound system. I'm sure by the time this reaches Broadway it will be bigger and better. It just sucks that in their desire to give people not in New York earlier shows (definitely not cheaper from what I heard in the audience and online) that we got the short end of the stick. Really wish they had went with a 70's look for everyone like the film. We watched some clips from the film and they didn't even sing my lady's favorite song. Would I see this show again? Maybe if when it is prepped and I hear good things about it.


Click here for previous Curtain Call.

No comments: