Sunday, August 2, 2026

Sitting In The Aisle: Spider-Man Brand New Day



Spider-Man Brand New Day 7/10


So I just watched the latest Spider-Man. Three people I know told me that I needed to see this movie and I was on the fence about it since I first saw the trailer. I tend to judge these movies based on how many goosebumps I get and I didn't get any watching it. The main reason is because of that Doomsday movie that's coming out later this year. To me there are no stakes because people can be brought back from other realities or just brought back to life. I used to read comic books all the time and I know that this happens in those, but with the films I actually like that there seem to be some form of permanence with these characters deaths. For as sad as it is that Aunt May died in December we can see her come back to life. So while watching this movie I did enjoy it but there was just a cloud of doubt that anything that actually happened in his film would have stakes.



This starts off and it's about four years past since Doctor Strange started that spell that made everyone forget that Peter Parker existed. He totally should have worded that differently. So he's watching MJ and Ned go through college and enjoy life meanwhile he's 100% being Spider-Man. He has a note that he wanted to give to MJ previously and he still hasn't given it to her letting her know that he is Spider-Man and his name is Peter Parker and that they used to be together. Peter ends up fighting this tank that's heading toward this place called Damage Control. Frank Castle aka The Punisher shows up and they have some back and forth showing that they have crossed paths at some point. I really wish that had been shown either in a previous film or even in that Punisher short film on Disney+. So now we just have to accept that they know each other and have crossed paths and have banter.



After Peter stops the tank there's a little old lady inside who has absolutely no idea what's going on. It turns out that there is some kind of psychic that is jumping from body to body. It's like that old Denzel Washington movie (Fallen). We later find out who it is that's doing the body hopping and I got happy for a moment until I realize that the Doomsday movie existed. So Peter ends up contacting Yelena who is the new Black Widow and I was not happy to see her because I didn't like her in the Black Widow film and I did not like her in the Thunderbolts film. So now I was just like okay not only am I having to deal with her character but also the ninjas from the Daredevil series. That Daredevil series for the first time in my life made me tired of ninjas.



So this telepathic keeps jumping from body of the body is you know mocking Spider-Man and all this time Spider-Man is going through changes. He's starting to get more aggressive, his eyes turn completely red as these headaches continue and he just keeps on ignoring it until one morning he wakes up covered in cobwebs hanging off the side of his building. He's evolving and I've seen this happen in the comic books. So instead of having to use web shooters the stuff just come straight out of his hands which is way cooler. He ends up meeting with Bruce Banner aka The Incredible Hulk and he has no idea who he is so Peter lies and says that his name is Ned. What Peter is describing to Banner is a device that would remove anyone with powers ability to use their power which he wants to use to help stop whatever is happening to himself. Big picture-wise Peter is a smart kid he should be able to see where this would lead. So this telepath ends up taking over MJ's body and pretends to remember that they once had a relationship and then they end up kissing. Then the telepath reveals itself and it's like oh my god you used her body to kiss this boy and that is so jacked up. By the way this telepath does so much stuff that I am actually not happy that the telepath lives by the end of this film.



Fast forward a bunch peter ends up taking MJ to Punisher's hiding spot. Peter goes to fight this psychic who at this point we now know is Jean Grey. I was like oh my god this is a good way to introduce the X-Men. And when I say that I mean a brand new X-Men without any of the old characters from any of the old films. But again I remember that Doomsday exist. It turns out that Jean Grey had an older sister who also had psychic abilities just like her and one day in the park was showing her how to jump from by the body and she ends up getting captured by Damage Control. Peter ends up battling with the Hulk who fully Hulks out and ends up captured by Damage Control with no recollection of what's happened. So now Banner is just taken away and gone. Life ruined. Jean Grey ends up captured as well and she finds out that the room that they have her in is the last thing that her sister saw before she died. So Jean Grey fully ends up breaking out and she is going to kill the guy who's running the place. So Peter ends up using Naruto style talk-jitsu and lets her into his head because for whatever reason she could not get into Peter's head. So while Jean Grey is talking to Aunt May Peter ends up walking in and they have a good moment where he explains to her that she's not a bad person and he feels sorry for putting her in the situation. He is explaining this to someone who has caused so much damage, ruined a lot of lives, and hurt a lot of people. Because while she is in this current state a giant chunk of the city is frozen in place. Like MJ is back at home sitting on the couch with tears streaming down her face because she can't even blink right now.



So Frank, who's tired of all his nonsense, is all the way across town with the world's largest rifle tries to snipe her and Peter senses it and gets in front of the bullet at the last second and takes a shot in the back. Jean Grey is gone after Peter tells her that she needs to leave. So now this psychic who is, yes, a young girl but incredibly dangerous and not mentally stable is out on loose. Peter ends up recovering in the hospital and Frank's there visiting him. At the end of the movie, which was my favorite scene, Peter goes to the shop he's always at to get some flowers and he spots Ned and starts doing their secret handshake and Ned instinctively starts following along with it and then he just stares at them and goes “Peter?” That was my favorite scene of this film.



So, yes, I did enjoy this movie but there was nothing in it that shocked me or made me laugh or wish that I could see another Spider-Man. I did enjoy the beginning of the film where he was fighting random bad guys. I like seeing Spider-Man do Spider-Man stuff on a smaller scale. Happy that there wasn't a gigantic bad guy in this film that was threatening to take over the world. Again I think of Doomsday. I believe that if I did not know that that movie existed or was coming out soon that I would have enjoyed this movie so much more but I could not get emotionally attached to the film or enjoy it the same way I've enjoyed other films because there does not seem to be any stakes anymore.


Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man

Zendaya as Michelle "MJ" Jones-Watson

    Sadie Sink as Jean Grey

Jacob Batalon as Ned Leeds

Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle/Punisher

Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova/Black Widow

Tramell Tillman as William "Bill" Metzger

Marisa Tomei as May Parker

Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/Hulk


Click here for previous Sitting In The Aisle.

No comments: