Widow's Bay 9/10
I would suggested watching this series Widow's Bay (on Apple TV which means I signed up for a week long trail) and after hearing about how well the show was received decided to check it out. L made it through one episode and decided that she didn't want to continue. I did and ended up finishing the last nine episodes this weekend. I don't tend to binge watch shows but this one is such an easy and fast watch that I did not realize how quickly I was plowing through it. I read today that there is going to be a second season and even if there was not I could imagine slightly how the town would have carried on after the finale. This is going to be full of spoilers.
This is about the small town called Widow's Bay and this guy named Tom who is the mayor. He was not born and Widow's Bay but lived there with his late wife and his son, Evan. I cannot stand his son. He does everything he can do to not listen or stay alive. Tom has an assistant named Kate who is weird as hell and once I found out why she was ostracized by other people in the community it made sense to me. There's also a sheriff named Clemmings who I won't get too much into but he is another one of the reasons why I enjoyed this season. Everyone that you see in the background has a story.
This starts off with a lot of weird things happening in the town. This fog rolls through and someone gets vanished while on their boat. This guy named Wyck is warning the mayor Tom that they need to close down the town. Tom does not want to because he has a writer from The New York Times coming and he wants the town to be known as the new Martha's Vineyard. The fisherman that I mentioned is found and he's in a weird zombie like state and ends up waking and attacking Tom. Tom still refuses to believe that anything is wrong with the town. Next church bell start ringing that should not be ringing (cause they're chained). Tom is dared to stay at a haunted inn. There he ends up playing board games with a ghost that turns out to be this killer clown that lived in the town. And another episode he ends up getting scratched by an actual sea hag who tries to sit on his face and kill him. At this point Tom understands that there is great danger in Widow's Bay but he still will not shut anything down or stop tours from arriving.
All of the old people from the town know of all the different legends and that a lot of bad things are going to happen but it is far more important to Tom that Widow's Bay get a great reputation. There's a really interesting flashback episode that shows how the town was founded and we later find out why so many things went wrong. The basic concept is that if you are born in Widow's Bay you cannot leave Widow's Bay. If you leave you die shortly afterward. So Tom can come and go when he wants but someone like his son Evan can never leave or he will die. There's actual proof and evidence that this happens to people and not just an old wives tale. Like I said this show goes by very quickly. The humor, the way it shot, and the music are very good. I am glad that I checked this show out and had absolutely no spoilers to it because the last episode completely blew my mind. This show is listed as a horror comedy and I will agree that there are quite a few funny scenes between the characters but towards the end it lends more towards suspense and horror to me. Not that I'm complaining whatsoever. I thoroughly enjoyed this show and I'm looking forward to season two.
Kate O'Flynn as Patricia Moyer
Kevin Carroll as Bechir Clemmons
Kingston Rumi Southwick as Evan Loftis
Click here for previous The Review.




No comments:
Post a Comment