Friday, September 28, 2018

The Review: The Glass Castle



The Glass Castle 4/10

Years ago I read the book The Glass Castle and loved it. I remember seeing a trailer for this and got excited because the cast of Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson. It is on Amazon so I decided to check it out today and was super disappointed with it. I was not comparing it to the book since I can not recall the book completely, just a feeling of “Wow, this lady is way more forgiving of her parents than I would be.” This movie makes it seem even more so and by the end it felt like I was straight up watching a movie and could not even enjoy it anymore and the longer it went, it's over two hours, I was like You know what? I totally could not have seen this and been fine.”


I know that sounds weird but this is not a terrible film. The acting is good and they are doing the best they can with the writing and directing but while watching I totally felt like this would have been better as a series or told in a better order. This is the story of a young girl that grows up with her family of two other sisters and a brother. Her father and mother drag them all around the country when he needs to leave a town because of trouble of some kind be it with people, police, or whatever. The parents turn it into an adventure for the kids but eventually that shit gets old and as the kids get older their fathers drinking get worse and so does the frequency of their moving.


Mixed in with her childhood is her present day where she is engaged and her fiance is afraid to meet her now homeless parents who are worse than when she was growing up. They are squatting in New York and she is successful writing a gossip column. She once again gets fed up with their bullshit but makes up with her parents when her dad is dying. The way the music starts playing and the loving scenes with her and all her siblings talking about their father and laughing at different tales about him. “Remember that time he tried to throw mom out the window? Or when he punched that lifeguard after almost drowning you? Or how about that time he almost let you get raped?! Hahaha! Ah...good times.” This movie was all over the place and uneven. I hoped this would be better than it was and it seemed like such a waste of a great cast. At least I discovered Sarah Snook.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: