Wednesday, November 6, 2019

The Review: Dolemite Is My Name


Dolemite Is My Name 9/10

I loved this movie. I don't say the phrases “feel good movie” or “inspiring” often but that's what Dolemite Is My Name was. I saw some friends recommend it and someone I used to work with say I should watch it and I am glad I did. When I was little I saw Petey Wheatstraw and for years would try to explain just the beginning of it to people and would get looked at like I was crazy. Which is totally understandable in hindsight. If some five year old told me the plot I would have told their parents that their kid was insane. This movie was a great tribute to Rudy Ray Moore. Before he even hit it big he did a lot but this focused more on the start of his rise to fame. Even when they reenacted scenes that actually occurred in the real films it seemed like they were acting badly.



You would think they were making fun of Moore but if you've seen the movies you know that that's how the damned movies were. I was glad that they pointed out that Moore had no karate abilities because I watched Dolemite for the first time recently and laughed at how bad the fight scenes were. Watching him get told no or that he could not do something and then figuring out a way to do it was so fun to see. I am so used to movies that are based off of real people having these dark tragic moments and this one did not and I appreciated the hell out of it. There are some somber moments but that is exactly what they were. Moments. I loved the outfits people wore. The ladies. Oh, the ladies. This felt like one of those love letter movies and it made me feel good seeing it. This is one of those movies I'll watch a few more times when I need to be cheered up and laugh like an idiot.

Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore
Keegan-Michael Key as Jerry Jones
Mike Epps as Jimmy Lynch
Craig Robinson as Ben Taylor
Tituss Burgess as Theodore Toney
Da'Vine Joy Randolph as Lady Reed
Wesley Snipes as D'Urville Martin
Luenell as Aunt

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: