Friday, January 22, 2021

Documentality: I'll Be Gone In The Dark/Heaven's Gate/Night Stalker


I'll Be Gone In The Dark 10/10

I don't watch a ton of documentaries. If I do they tend to be about music in some way. But this one was one I kinda slightly knew about so I decided to check it out. All I knew was that the author had passed away right before the killer was caught. This is by far one of the best and most intriguing documentaries I have ever seen. It was filmed well. This was filthy with information regarding the killer and the authors search for his identity. Michelle McNamara spent years tracking down every clue to the Golden State Killer and ended up dying from an accidental drug overdose. He was known as the East Area Rapist and The original Night Stalker. There is another. I watched his documentary too. This bastard was killing in the 70's and 80's before he was finally caught in 2018. The interviews with the victims families and survivors show how much of an impact this evil son of a bitch had on their lives but also show how he didn't destroy them. Six episodes. In HBO Max. Definitely worth watching.


Heaven's Gate: Cult Of Cults 9/10

I had heard of this cult but only after they had killed themselves. All I knew was that there was some folks in California that did a big ass suicide because they thought that they were gonna hitch a ride on the tail of a comet that was hiding a spaceship. What I didn't know was the whole ass life of the the guy and his lady that started it. I didn't know they had a kid they left behind. I didn't know he was a performer. That he lost his shit and met his future wife who was working at the facility. The weird haircuts and outfits they had to get. Castration! They thankfully did that the one time. They have so much footage. By the way, if you join a group and you're not sure if its a cult, just look at how much of your life is being filmed. They filmed everything! This is on HBO Max and just four episodes but they squeezed a whole lot out.


Night Stalker: The Hunt For a Serial Killer 8/10

This was fucking bananas. I didn't know all that much about Richard Ramirez except what he looked like and that he was crazy as fuck. This was done in a more sensational manner than the other docs I watched. They have the detectives that were hunting for him and I told my friend that it gave it a True Detective type vibe. Getting to see how this case was causing damage to their personal lives let alone the victims of this lunatic. I loved how he was captured by regular ass people. They have a lot of documents and interview survivors as well as reenactments. This was good but like I said very sensational. Brutal as hell. It was on Netflix and that channel is not know for subtlety. Watch it but know that they show and talk about a lot of fucked up things.

No comments: