Saturday, February 19, 2022

The Review: Brown Sugar


Brown Sugar 4/10


This movie bothered me personally. There is this trope in movies where if a man and woman are best friends that eventually they start fucking one another or constantly get into relationships with people while wanting to fuck their best friend instead. Does this happen in real life? Yes. But as someone who has a best friend that is a woman I just roll my eyes and groan because I have had relationships go into the shitter because a woman refused to believe that me and my best friend did not want a relationship or had not had one and chose to stay friends. Honestly, almost every woman I know still talk to their ex boyfriends which is strange to me but I just go “Okay.” This movie makes the two friends pathetic in their desire to have one another and not do anything about it until bigger messes are made. I should probably talk about the movie.



Sidney and Dre bond together when they are little kids because they love music. Years later as adults Sidney is the editor-in-chief at XXL magazine and Dre works at a record company. He doesn't like it that much because he wants to work with real artists and his company cares more about making money. Dre gets engaged to this lady named Renee. Sidney acts all weird about it and obviously not supportive. Dre doesn't seem all that into it but he's gonna do it anyway. Even at the wedding Sidney's cousin is bugging her to stop the wedding. Now, before he proposed she could have said something. She didn't so she needs to suck it up and support their union.



Dre ends up quitting his job and I know I am supposed to be like “Yeah, follow your dreams!” but fuck that. You married. You can't just do shit like that. Reese is jealous of Sidney as she should be because its obvious that she wants Dre even though she has had almost thirty years to act on it and chose not to. Sidney starts to date this NBA player named Kelby. Dre acts all jealous and I'm like “You are off the fucking market, sir!” Kelby eventually asks Sidney to marry him and she says yes even though she doesn't like him the way she likes Dre. Now even more lives are being fucked with. Then Dre finds out his wife is cheating because he ain't shit. I wasn't even mad she cheated. Just wish she had divorced him or started to first. He drags Sidney with him to confront Renee. Whatever. Dre and Sidney end up fucking.



One day while Sidney is being interviewed on the radio Dre calls in and professes his love to Sidney and she accepts. Yay? No, not really. I know that this movie is very well known and that people really like it but I just hate the message of this which seems to be ignore your feelings, lie to your new lover, pine for what you could have had if you had the balls to say something, ruin a relationship or two, then do what you should've done already. I don't endorse their love. I'll just wait for the sequel where they both just cheat on each other.

Taye Diggs as Andre Romulus 'Dre' Ellis

Sanaa Lathan as Sidney 'Sid' Shaw

Mos Def as Christopher Anton 'Cavi' Vichon

Nicole Ari Parker as Reese Marie Wiggam Ellis

Boris Kodjoe as Kelby Dawson

Queen Latifah as Francine

Wendell Pierce as Simon

Erik Weiner as Ren

Reggi Wyns as Ten

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: