Saturday, June 3, 2017

The Review: Blazing Saddles


Blazing Saddles 8/10

Blazing Saddles is one of those movies where I have heard a lot of gags and seen some of them in other films or referenced but never sat down and watch the actual film itself. I finally did and am glad I did because this movie had me laughing my ass off. It stars Cleavon Little as a prisoner named Bart that is made the sheriff of a small town. Why? Because they figured that as soon as he arrived that he would be killed and then they could then plow right through the town with their train tracks. I laughed my ass off when he arrived and as the town all whipped guns out on him he took himself hostage and went into the sheriff's station. He finds the Waco Kid played by Gene Wilder in his cell hanging by his ankles form the top bunk drunk.


The state attorney general Hedley Lamarr played by Harvey Korman (known as The Skipper from Gilligan's Island to me) is the one that wants to clear out the town. His assistant is Taggart played by Slim Pickens. Their relationship is weird as hell. Mel Brooks who also wrote and directed this plays a few parts but the main one is J. Le Petomane. This movie is silly as I don't know what. More than I was expecting. I thought this would be a straight up cowboy film but there are instances of things from a hundred years past when this took place that show up.


And of course there is a lot of things that folks would find offensive today. Hell, it was offensive back then but I know how to laugh at absurd shit. This movie ends up spilling into another movie being made and onto the studio lot. I'm gonna find some more movies that I know about but haven't seen that came out years ago, particularly comedies.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: