Wednesday, June 29, 2022

You Had One Job: Ms. Marvel


I think I am gathering more of an understanding as to why I am not enjoying the
Ms. Marvel series. Other than the fact that I am not close to its target audience being a 40 something year old Black dude. Reading about how the show was designed with Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World as inspiration made me frown since I didn't like that movie. Her hero, Captain Marvel, was one of the worst MCU films for me so its hard to root for a character who is inspired by her and makes me roll my eyes when she raves about how cool she was. I mean, she has had one movie and showed up in another and its not like she defeated Thanos. She gets way too much credit. If you wanna read me talking about that film you can click here because I don't need to get too into it here.



I have never read the comic so I don't know what was changed in her story but I do know that her powers look different and were changed into exactly what the co-creator of her, G. Willow Wilson didn't want her to be. “Sparkly, hand wave-y, floaty, pretty powers.” That is what she has. I do know in the comics from art I have seen that she has stretchy powers which she has in this but it looks like crystals. She doesn't know how to use them and they seem instinct based when she is in danger. Not a problem. It happened with America Gomez in Doctor Strange and I want whoever wrote for her character to write every teen in Marvel films from now on.



When I watched the first episode I was annoyed by the main character Kamala. I would understand the way she acts if she were maybe three years younger but being 16 and that irritating is not the business. I was a weird teenager and am now a weird ass adult so its not like I would scream “Nerd!” at her. But I would definitely keep away from her the same way most of the other kids do in the series. Everything moves so fast that as of now I have watched three episodes, almost three hours of this character, and can not tell you anything about her personality other than she is annoying. I know it sounds like I hate this show but that isn't the word I would use. I want cool new Marvel shows to watch every few months. WandaVision, Loki, Falcon & The Winter Soldier, What If...?, Moon Knight. All good shows that I looked forward to every week. Hawkeye was ass. This series is also ass but it is being painted as the future of the MCU and where they are headed and that sucks. It sucks because these series and movies are all connected and best case scenario I'll have to watch a YouTube video showing me the important stuff.



One good thing I will say about this show is that it is cool that people who look like Kamala or come from the same place she represents have someone they can see as a hero. I know that this show would be attacked by people who hate seeing someone that doesn't look like them not knowing how good it feels for people who have gone their whole life seeing a team of fifty White people and one Black one on a team. I know it was like “Whoa” when I saw Falcon and War Machine in a single movie. Black Panther while not the best MCU movie (I was caught up in the hype at the time and gave it a higher score than I should've) made me say that it is cool that kids can dress up as someone other than Blade. With Shang Chi I thought the same. So far I have not thought that with any lady led movies because they all took place in the past so there was no sense of danger for me.



I have officially watched four episodes since starting this post and can say with certainty that I won't watch the last two. This is the equivalent of watching a four hour movie now and I still can't tell you much about her character or any of the others on any type of deeper level. Maybe that is the point and how young people are these days. I don't know. I don't talk to them. But it seems like you just need to keep things happening on screen that are flashy to make folks happy.


Click here for previous You Had One Job.

No comments: