Friday, January 22, 2016

Theater Whore: Black Mass


Black Mass 8/10

I finally got a chance to watch the movie Black Mass starring Johnny Depp. Before I saw this he as pretty much the only person I knew was in the movie. Turns out there was also Joel EdgertonBenedict CumberbatchKevin Bacon, Peter Sarsgaard, Adam Scott, and Dakota Johnson. I had heard of the guy James”Whitey” Bulger mostly after he was captured but didn't know much else about him. This movie managed to cover a good portion of his criminal career as well as the corruption in the FBI that was supposed to be taking him down.


Johnny Depp has one of his best performances in years as Bulger. I like when I can watch a movie and forget that I am watching a movie and I felt that was with this. Bulger is controlling organized crime in Boston and starts off small but gets big fast because he and his gang are ruthless as hell. They will beat people to death that you thought were their friends because of mistakes they made. Joel Edgerton plays FBI agent John Connolly that grew up with Bulger and his brother and now senator William Bulger played by Benedict Cumberbatch. Bulger trades information with Connolly for the ability to continue his criminal ways. He pretty much uses the FBI to get rid of his enemies.


Whitey's crew doesn't exactly agree with the way they have to follow Bulger working with the FBI. They don't want to be seen as rats but Whitey doesn't see it that way. As more money rolls in and things move from racketeering to drugs shit gets crazier and far more violent. This was a really cool movie and I wish I had checked it out sooner. I kept hearing how good it was but had to catch up on other films before finally watching it.

Click here for previous Theater Whore.

No comments: