Saturday, February 27, 2021

The Review: Tom & Jerry (2021)


Tom & Jerry 8/10


Why the fuck was this movie so good? I watched Tom & Jerry yesterday and before I did I wanted them not to talk. That's pretty much it. I know they weren't gonna have the crazy ass violence from the old cartoons with tails being chopped off and being set on fire but just wanted them not to talk and if there were humans for them to be interesting. Turns out I got what I wanted. I didn't watch the trailer so I was surprised when it was mixed in with the real world. And I have to mention the fact that the music used in this movie was fucking incredible. It starts with Tribe Called Quest. There's some fucking Jodeci in it. We were like “Whoever did this has to be Black!” If not they deserve the highest of fives.



The basic story is that Tom and Jerry head to New York and Tom is minding his business pretending to be blind and making money playing piano in the street. Jerry shows up and puts his own tip jar down as the dancing cat. I forgot how much of a shitbird Jerry was. Meanwhile this woman Kayla loses her job after getting knocked over carrying clothes and misses her delivery time. She ends up lying and stealing another lady's resume and gets a job at this hotel. Tom gets hired to capture Jerry and insanity ensues. I'm not gonna sit here and try to explain the plot of a cartoon. But I will say that I laughed a lot and loved the music. They have plenty of surprise characters for older fans of the cartoon. Its on HBO Max which continues to be the best streaming service.

Chloë Grace Moretz as Kayla Forester

Michael Peña as Terrance Mendoza

Colin Jost as Ben

Rob Delaney as Henry DuBros

Pallavi Sharda as Preeta Mehta

Jordan Bolger as Cameron

Patsy Ferran as Joy

Daniel Adegboyega as Gavin

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: