Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Review: Powers


Powers 1/10

I finally checked out the Playstation series Powers. I had written about it a couple of years ago (click here to read that) before I'd seen it. I said that I would give it a try and this morning I felt like punishing myself so I checked it out. It is far worse than I thought it was going to be. They couldn't get anything right except the fact that a camera was able to record people attempting to act. Three episodes in I had to tap out because I could not continue. There are some shows that have a slow start but get better. This one made me progressively annoyed.

"Set in a world where humans and superheroes (called "powers") co-exist, a former power now homicide detective, Christian Walker, had his own powers taken from him. Along with his partner Deena Pilgrim they work in a special homicide division called Powers, which investigates crimes involving superhumans."


Right off the bat this show takes away one of the best aspects of the comic book by revealing that everyone already knows that Christian Walker played by Sharlto Copley used to be a superhero named Diamond. One of the fun parts of the comic book was watching his partner Deena Pilgrim trying to figure out and discovering that he was once a hero. And the chick they have playing Deena Susan Heyward was not right for this. They have zero chemistry. One second Sharlto, who is supposedly from Seattle in this, sounds like he is from South Africa, then the South, then sounds like he has a speech impediment.

Then there are the special effects. They look like the stuff used on the Power Rangers series back in the day. Every time a power is used it looks terrible except for the teleporting because all everyone has to do is just sit still until someone walks off screen.

I gave this a score of 1 instead of 0 because the chick that plays Zora (and looks nothing like her in the comics) is hot as hell and when she came on screen I was distracted. Funny though, I was complaining to a friend how so many chicks on TV shows and movies, specifically Black ones as comic book characters, all have the same look. Just be light skinned. By the way, three of these women are supposed to be born in Africa.


Click here for previous The Review

No comments: