Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Review: 13th


13th

I cant really give this a number rating for my review since 13th was a documentary. I cant even say that I enjoyed it because it wasn't a laugh fest in any sense of the word. This is a series of interviews talking about the 13th Amendment that states “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction” and how it was used to make freed Black folk into prisoners and in a lot of cases work. They listed some companies that use prison labor like McDonald's where they sew their uniforms, Wal-Mart with prison grown produce, Victoria's Secret (get that image out of your head, ladies), CostCo, Starbucks, and many more. The shit is depressing.

This documentary made me depressed as all hell for many reasons but selfishly the main one was the fact that so many dudes that they showed being beaten, killed, attacked, and locked up looked like my ass. I learned a lot about how different presidents have fucked this country over, not just for Black people, and whether Hillary or Trump won we would still be fucked. Yeah. It covers each of their ties to this shit going back decades. If you have Netflix you should check this out. Just have a comedy or something to watch afterward. I'm watching Young Justice.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: