Saturday, November 17, 2018

Theater Whore: Everybody Knows



Everybody Knows 8/10

I was gonna do a long ass review of this movie Everybody Knows that I saw at AFI with Koko this week but after seeing that it does not come out until early next year I'm gonna write a short one that does not spoil anything really. This stars Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem as Laura and Paco. Laura goes to visit her home town for her sister's wedding along with her other sister and two kids. As soon as they arrive and the daughter is let loose I was like “This girl gonna end up dead.” She isn't like a stupid teenager like in most films, but she is dangerous and thinks everything she does is cute and funny. I shit you not, at one point she hits this boy with a dead, dusty ass bird and giggles. I was like “That ain't cute!” A few days later during the evening of the wedding she ends up being kidnapped and shit gets super real from that point on.


I'm starting to become a fan of suspense films. I normally do not watch many of them and tend to lean towards movies where things explode or fights happen with cool effects. I was wrong maybe five times while trying to figure out where the daughter was and who took her. These movies prove I'm the worst detective ever. I am also paying more attention to things that are filmed in real locations and not on sets and taking advantage of the beautiful landscape which this movie did greatly. I was invested in these characters and no one had a small role. Each person had a character and was important to the story. This is the kind of movie I'd love to watch again to see if I notice more things the second time around Shalamar style.

Click here for previous Theater Whore.

No comments: