Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The Review: The Arena (1974)



The Arena 6/10

Dude, this movie was fucking bananas. I just watched a Pam Grier movie so Amazon added this as a suggestion and as soon as I looked up the poster I knew I had to watch it. By the way, I need to point out that Grier had to be the most attractive woman to ever be seen at this point in cinema. Yeah, there were a lot of pretty ladies but none of them had the boom boom pow that Grier had. Fight me if you wanna be proven wrong. The Arena was made in 1974 and is about a bunch of women that were captured and brought to Rome as slaves. I am not gonna use their character names so I am gonna go based off of physical features and such. The blonde chick was stolen from a place that looked like something out of Midsommar. They slaughtered everyone in sight and brought her. The black chick was dancing to drums when all the men were killed and they got her. The other two don't really matter but there is the redhead with curly hair and the asshole. So they get brought to Rome and they all speak the same language and all get doused with water outside as a bath. They needed to show some naked ass women and they knew exactly how to do it. Oh, wait. There is some other woman. She was ditsy or something. Whatever.


I'm not exactly sure what the women were brought for. They are supposed to sleep with gladiators and make food which is about as bad as when I worked in the hospital and had to clean toilets and serve patients. Those are two different jobs, people! Anyhoot, so the black chick has to bone down with this black gladiator and he tries to sneak fuck her until she turns the tables and threatens to cut his throat, bitch slap him, and shame him. Then the sex. The blonde chick tries to inspire this other dude. The redhead is too stupid to know her life is in danger. The asshole no one gets with. Seriously, every time she was on screen I rolled my eyes so hard I could read my mind. Oh, they have to dance too. The black chick does this dance and I was like “You might wanna tone that down they trying to fuck up in this place!”


So the Romans watch dudes kill each other so much for sport that they get bored of it. Then one day the black chick starts fighting with the asshole and then the blonde jumps in and breast meat starts showing and butts and food is everywhere. The main jerk dude rushes to see the commotion and someone suggests that the women fight in the arena to liven things up. Yeah. That sounds like a great idea. Oh, no. My eyes are rolling again! So the women are trained and by trained I mean given weapons to use and by use I mean flail them at one another while giggling. This is not a ha-ha hee-hee moment! Y'all gonna have to fight! And they do. And by fight I mean the swing weapons until they are tired and fall down. The next fight has to be to the death and the black chick is forced at arrow point and this was my reaction.


So after taking an arrow to the arm she kills the girl. One of the guys that was boning down with her is torn up about it. The blonde goes to him at night and mentions something about a daughter and now I am all confused. Who had a kid?! So he decides to help them start a revolution. During a death battle between the black chick and the blonde one they somehow manage to have lady archers take out the dude ones and all hell breaks loose and they try to escape but some of the ladies die and other ones appear out of thin air. Seriously, they do close up meaningful shots of some ladies dying and I was like “Who you?!” The blonde and black chick are the only ones to escape in the end.


This movie was funnier than it was supposed to be. When someone was shot with anything the camera would just cut to them holding a spear, arrow, or sword to their body while arching their back and screaming. There are some breasticle images, butts, and 70's bush. No dongs thankfully because this movie was just full of ugly men. I looked at the makers of this and there are surprisingly some really talented film makers that were involved in this. Check this out on Amazon if you're in the mood to be baffled.

Margaret Markov as Bodicia
Pam Grier as Mamawi
Lucretia Love as Deirdre
Paul Muller as Lucilius
Daniele Vargas as Timarchus
Marie Louise as Livia
Mary Count as Lucinia
Rosalba Neri as Cornelia

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: