Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The Review: The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin


The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin 6/10

I watched the Shaw Brothers movie from 1978 called The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin. This was longer than the old kung fu films that I am used to watching and watched an ass load of when I was a little kid. It stars Gordon Liu as Liu Yude who is a student that is rebellious against the government which back in the day was dangerous as hell and could get you beaten or killed. Remember when it was dangerous to rebel against the government? Man. Those days were rough. Nowadays we can say or do whatever we want.

So one day he gets a bit too rebellious and and bunch of his friends get their asses kicked. He escapes and ends up making his way to a Shaolin temple. They don't wanna take him in at first but then they do. I then got to watch about 90 minutes of this guy getting his ass kicked, embarrassed, and made to do damn near impossible stuff to learn how to fight. There is one exercise where he has to carry two buckets of water up a small hill but there are goddamn knives tied to his biceps, so if he lowers his arms he will stab himself. Al the dudes doing this got slices on their sides! Fuck that! I'd just tap out and go home. Get your own damn water.


Eventually he becomes a fighting master and even creates a new weapon where the teacher training him is like “Da fuk...?!” Its like a triple nunchuck. That's how I say and spell that word. Fuck off. So he heads back to town to teach people this monk style and get revenge. He gets his revenge and the movie ends. I honestly cant remember how it ends. I know the main bad guy dies and all the bad guys run away like chickens. This movie was cool and I could see how it would have been influential. I still prefer most of the movies from Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li.

Click here for previous The Review

No comments: