Sunday, October 7, 2018

The Review: Nappily Ever After



Nappily Ever After 4/10

After hearing reviews of this movie from my cousin JP and Miss Jackie I decided to check out Nappily Ever After which is simultaneously annoying and aggravating. I know that I watched this definitely than a woman will, particularly Black women. I can shave my head any time I want which I did just a week and a half ago. I lost chunks of hair when I was little so I look at hair and hair loss in a different way than women. Women take their hair super seriously. This movie is about a woman that was raised to care more about how she appeared than anything else. Her name is Violet and she is played by Sanaa Lathan. She is dating this guy and is obsessed with making sure she looks perfect all the time. She goes to get her hair done and this little girl fucks with the bottles and she ends up with a head full of relaxer. She gets a weave to repair the damage.


She thinks he is going to propose to her and gets all kinds of ready and it turns out he got her a dog. She flips her shit, he tells her that he doesn't know who she is after two years, and they split up. I totally get how he felt because there are people I still know till this day I've known for half my life where I think “Yep. This is about as much about this person as I'm ever gonna learn” as well as realizing that some people just don't let you get close. She ends up changing her hair to a blond style and meets up with a guy at the bar. She is drunk off her ass and ends up going home with him. Stupid movie stuff happens and she leaves and after a magical, mystical Negro gives her a talking to she finds out that her ex is now flirting with a coworker. She gets mad at him for flirting after she just almost fucked some random ass dude!


She ends up shaving the shit off completely and loses her shit. Over time she gets more confident and this hair stylist dude that you know she is gonna end up with gets closer to her. She ends up making him look like shit in front of her mother and he leaves. Her ex ends up walking in on Violet shaking her ass and the next thing you know they fucking in the shower and he proposes to her which I totally get because shower sex is bomb. “Ew! I'd never do that!” someone who will never date me shouts at their phone. So she with ol' boy and her mom is happy and suddenly dude becomes a super villain. He starts acting dickish because this movie needs to wrap up and she decides to start living for herself and since this is about a foot away from a Tyler Perry style plot it means that she is gonna end up with the stylist she should have been happy with in the first place.


The crazy thing about this movie is that I still don't know why anyone likes her other than her looks. She doesn't seem to have much of a personality and has shown signs of some kind of mental illness and very impulsive behavior. She gets drunk and hurts a guy which stops her from having sex. Gets upset and drunkenly cuts her hair. Quits her job with no warning. Acts both shitty and extremely nice to new dudes daughter (that I swore was a boy). She is easily swayed. I get it in the sense that it is Sanaa Lathan and she looks like Sanaa Lathan. But other than that I really didn't see what was special about her. I would have preferred if this ended with her marrying her ex and getting the life her mother wanted for her...because I am petty as fuck. And for any Black chicks reading this shave your head and see how hard I hit on you. Like Miss Jackie said, this movie would have been far more powerful ten years ago.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: