Tuesday, October 9, 2018

You Had One Job: Warner Bros Acquires James Gunn



There will be a Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 but chances are I won't watch it and some of the cast will not be involved after the removal of director/writer James Gunn after some old tweets that many found offensive were dug up and paraded like Oliver Cromwell. Seriously. Let me get this out the way before I get to the bittersweet news. Everyone says or writes something fucked up. If you dig into the past of someone you will eventually find something that you do not like or agree with. After Gunn was removed from directing duties from the next GOTG movie, which would have been fucking awesome, he had this to say.

My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time. Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”


Disney's loss is now Warner Bros gain as they have reportedly acquired him to direct the next Suicide Squad movie. Now you know why I said bittersweet. As much as I loved both GOTG movies (each making $773 and $863 million) I'm kinda bummed that Gunn is rolling into a movie that was a piece of hot garbage. But on the other hand he took a group of characters I did not know about and had no desire to watch and made them into two incredible movies that have influenced, for better or for worse, many directors. He took a raccoon, a talking tree, an autistic brute, an assassin, and a self professed lord of stars and made people in the theaters cry on each occasion. This guy is a fucking magician. The cast of GOTG spoke out against Gunns removal in an open letter.


I have watched GOTG multiple times and listened to Gunn's commentary and you can tell how much he loved working with these people, how close they all became, and how much pride he took in his job. He didn't molest or rape anyone. He didn't assault or kill anyone (by the way a metric shit ton of famous people have killed others). He wrote some mean shit years ago and present him had to pay. Was the stuff he said in old tweets horrible? Yeah. They were not funny in his hands but I have laughed at far more fucked up things that were being said by comedians and friends. No one is saying what he wrote back then was cool or funny. What I am saying is that people need to learn how to manage their anger. Having a person lose their job, their dream job which almost none of us will ever experience in our lives, because of some unfunny shit he said years ago is wrong. But that's just the way folks are these days. It's way easier to pile on someone and join the loudest group instead of sitting back and silently collecting your own thoughts and opinions.


The obvious choice to direct the next GOTG movie would be Taika Waititi who directed Thor: Ragnarok but even after listening to interviews with him that does not sound like something he would be interested in. Plus, as much as I loved that movie it was very different from the GOTG films. I don't care to see what he would do with those characters. I would have loved to see what Gunn would have. As for who will return, that is speculation at this point. One person that has not been happy about any of this shit is Dave Bautista who played Drax The Destroyer in the films. Today on Twitter after this news broke he asked “Where do I sign up!” The best thing about the Suicide Squad is that it is a rotating cast. There is no need to bring back anyone from that first film and then we can just ignore all the stupid Batman and Joker shit associated with it. You're welcome. I take payment in the form of crisp high-fives and Christian side hugs.

Click here for previous You Had One Job.

No comments: