Sunday, December 30, 2018

Best Series Of 2018



I think this year was the year of TV for me. Yes, that includes things that came on Netflix and Amazon. Actually that is all I mean because I don't watch regular TV unless there is a high speed chase or Cam calls me to laugh at people on The Antiques Roadshow. Otherwise everything is streamed. I know that there are a lot of shows debuting constantly so for me to want to sit and watch a series there are a few rules. I am not jumping in when there are already two or more seasons aired. I am not watching if it has more than twelve episodes in a season. And finally if the sound is so bad that I can't make it past the first minutes of the first episode. Yeah. That happened twice this year. So here is my list of five shows that I consider the Best Series Of 2018.


"It is hard to even talk about this show without ruining a lot of it but this show is the new friendship test. I don't see how you could watch this and not crack up laughing. If this is not funny to you chances are you're a not fun person. I wish a show like this existed when I was growing up because they cover so much shit that shows did not when I was little."

I was super hesitant to watch this second season which made no sense considering I loved the first one. I didn't want to watch this show because the art style bugs me but once I got over myself and listened to what was being said and what was happening I laughed my ass off for hours. This is one of the best written comedies I've ever seen with incredible voice acting. Hell, even the songs they come up with are catchy. Yeah, the humor is crude and all that shit but it is real. Except for the talking pillow that had a baby. That is totally not real...


"That was the craziest thing about this series. I was wrong constantly. Like...all the way wrong. The people I thought were bad were good and the ones I thought were good turned out to be evil as fuck."

I loved this show. As someone that watches mostly shows that make me laugh or with things that explode when I watch a series that takes its time to unravel an mystery I get super skittish. This show had just the right amount of episodes, characters, and twists to keep me interested the entire time. It is shows like these that keep me from watching these twenty-something a season shows that come on network television. If you have the right people writing and directing your shows you do not need to fluff things with too many episodes and take a three to four month break to continue. I'm looking at you, Flash.


"This season felt like they took everything I hated about the previous and tried not to touch it. There is not a single ninja. I think Elektra was mentioned once."

This was the best season of this series. After a good first season, a shitty second season, and The Defenders which was like being kicked in the knee while taking a shit, they made an awesome ass Daredevil...then canceled it. I'm not gonna get into all the production company/streaming service nonsense that caused this to end. I will say that I am so happy that this show went out with a bang unlike Luke Cage and Iron First which went out like a fart on a leather mattress: loud and stanky. This ended in such a way that if another season did not happen I'd be super fine. I'm still mad that wasted almost an entire episode on Karen Page's backstory.

Ozark Season 2 (10/10)

"This entire season kept me on my toes which I was happy about. I am excited to see maybe two more seasons of this because this can not last, meaning this family, at the pace they are going."

The first season of this show came out of nowhere and took over my conversations for a while. I was trying my best to get people to watch this show that by description sounds like a lot of shows. A good guy gets caught up in some illegal shit with bad folks and has to protect his family. Oh, there is so much more to this show than that an the second season kept the crazy ball rolling! This season had my cringing in the best possible ways trying to figure out where things were going. I could not guess who would live, die, or end up suddenly having the biggest balls ever. This was well acted, shot, and the tone of it stayed consistent. There were no "The fuck this come from?" episodes that some shows do sometimes in the form of a flashback that sucks or explain nothing, a special guest director, or having the first few episodes done by the creator and the rest just a jumbled mess.

Goliath Season 2 (10/10)

"One thing I like most about this show other than the acting, directing, writing, and music is that I am wrong a lot. I have discovered over the last few years that I enjoy being tricked by clever writing. Each time I pointed an accusatory finger at someone I was wrong."

I must have watched 80% of this show with a worried face. This season aged my ass. I did not know what was going to happen when an episode started and when one ended how it would pick up. I didn't know who to believe or trust. Even an episode that took place in Mexico that seemed to be out of nowhere with a bunch of weirdos turned into some very intense moments in television. This is another show like Ozark that makes me happy that shows like this exist and are being made. Watch the first and second seasons of this show if you ever find yourself saying "There's nothing to watch." You're welcome in advance.

No comments: