Wednesday, December 5, 2018

The Review: Big Mouth Season 2



Big Mouth Season Two 10/10

I do not use the phrase undeniable often but the show Big Mouth is undeniably funny. I laughed so long and hard at some jokes I had to rewind parts of episodes to hear what they said again. I did not think that this would be able to be better than the first season and even held back on getting started because I was pre-disappointed. Jasmine suggested I watch it after she was already deep into it and I did and immediately laughed like a fool. This season actually picks up from where the previous left off which surprised me. They managed to continue developing previous characters, going deeper into others that did not get a lot last season, and introducing more in a way that did not feel crowded.


The writers of this show deserve all kinds of awards for being able to keep jokes coming one after another in ways that would never be allowed if this were live action. You have a boy mourning the loss of one of his two pubes. Boys losing their minds over a girl growing boobs. Jessi becoming a thief because her parents have a terrible marriage and she is encouraged by her hormone monster Connie. Missi being seen by her entire class using her childhood toy as a sex toy. A “hump and dump.” A boy being told by his pillow to burn the couch cushion after getting a blowjob from it. The young gay kid Matthew being confronted by an older gay man regarding his attitude. I loved that scene by the way. There were so many times I just said “No, don't...” and exactly what I did not want to happen would happen and then I'd crack up.


One of the new characters introduced is the Shame Wizard voiced by David Thewlis. Bringing him into this was such a good idea because these kids were kinda getting out of control and having this guy appear and make them feel bad for being shitty helped calm things down. This show doesn't just focus on the kids and their problems either. They show that the parents and adults don't have their shit together and in flashbacks explain some of how they got to be the way they are. You even get a chance to see the world that the hormone monsters come from which I never even considered a thing I wanted to see. The voices continue to be perfect for everyone and I got the chance to work on my Rick the hormone monster voice.


This series covers things like dealing with parents splitting up, a mother dating another woman, having no control of your hormones, exploring your sexuality, one kid being bisexual, virginity, drug use, slut shaming, how to handle relationships when you're young, wondering if the way you feel about yourself and your body is okay, accepting yourself, depression, body development, and infidelity. There is really so much stuff shown and talked about on this show that it is amazing that there are only ten episodes that are less than half an hour. Oh. And a kid is nominated for pimp of the month.


It is hard to even talk about this show without ruining a lot of it but this show is the new friendship test. I don't see how you could watch this and not crack up laughing. If this is not funny to you chances are you're a not fun person. I wish a show like this existed when I was growing up because they cover so much shit that shows did not when I was little. Yeah, there would be a “On a special episode of...” like once a year but it would be about drug use which could be beaten by a hug of flushing it down the toilet. How to do CPR. And space shuttles blowing up. Thanks Punky Brewster, you source of childhood trauma. If you liked the first season of this you will love the second. It did everything better.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: