Thursday, December 20, 2018

You Had One Job: Hellboy Reboot



This doesn't look right. Not just because Ron Perlman is not in it. The new Hellboy just does not look good. In photos that have been all dolled up? Sure. He's like the opposite of Fergie who I love moving but not in photos. This reboot of the Hellboy franchise just looks very not cool. I loved the first two films directed by Guillermo Del Toro with Perlman as Hellboy. It all seemed to work perfectly and looked amazing. I was not a fan of the Hellboy comics in any way. I knew who the character was and became a fan because of the previous films. The new trailer that came out the other day did not give me any goosebumps. That is a rating system I have. Like, the first Captain Marvel trailer did not give me goosebumps which worried me but then they released a second and it did. With this there will be no second trailer magic happening.


I'm not sure what tone they are going for with this trailer. The musical choice for it was horrible. I like Billy Idol but using the song Mony Mony did not fit this at all. And visually this looks so damned bright. When I see drawings of Hellboy or the previous films so much of it looks dark and things look used. I like in movies when things do not look like they were just built. Throughout the trailer everything looks like the paint just dried. Including Hellboy's makeup. And there are too many yucks. I do not have a problem with funny things in any type of movie. I prefer when there is a moment or two that adds laughter. But the humor in this seems off and forced. And I am talking about from just a couple minutes of a trailer. Who the hell even put this together?!


I'm not going to be seeing this in theaters. Maybe I'll watch it on Netflix but I have a feeling I won't. I looked up the directors credits and things range from an episode or two of a show I liked such as Game Of Thrones to things that I absolutely hated like Lost In Space. It is super inconsistent. I know that some people reading this will say that you can't judge a movie based on the trailer but then use that same line of thinking to get excited about a movie after viewing the trailer. When a franchise gets a reboot I am happy to go along with it if there is a good reason. The previous ones were terrible, it's been a long time and an audience is clamoring for it, or technology has improved. That is not the case with Hellboy. If you wanna see it have fun. I'll be spending my money elsewhere. Or my Mony Mony.

Click here for previous You Had One Job.

No comments: