Thursday, December 6, 2018

You Had One Job: Netflix Cancels Daredevil



I really don't like talking about studios. When I see a movie I want to just see the movie and afterward when reading about it then I can see what hand a studio had in the movie and why things made no sense. Streaming services are studios. They make full on movies and TV shows and have the ability to give and take away as they please. The Netflix series Daredevil has been canceled and I'm not super upset because the third season was actually really good and I felt fine with the way it ended. I didn't say to myself “Damn, I can't wait for this to return!” because shows these days just keep cranking out no matter how I feel about them. So I am not upset Daredevil is leaving Netflix. I am bothered by the fact that if I wanted to check out another possible season or a bunch of Marvel based movies and series I'd have to get another streaming service.

Many are surprised by the cancellation of Daredevil even after Luke Cage and Iron Fist were canceled just a couple months ago and while Punisher and Jessica Jones are still around I'm just waiting for the hammer to drop on those too. Netflix does not release how many viewers watch their shows or anything but analytical companies do and they say that season three of Daredevil was the fourth most watched show after Narcos, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and Stranger Things. I have no desire to watch Narcos, still have not finished Sabrina and may not, and Stranger Things sucked. So there's that.

Right now I have Amazon and Netflix. Me and Cam do not want to add on other apps and such no matter how good others are. She recently added Starz and so far she checks out Outlander while I scroll through for ten minutes trying to find something before giving up and watching Youtube. Disney plans to have all their Marvel stuff move onto their new service next year and I have no desire to get it. I just don't. There is the fact that Netflix owns this one thing, Marvel owns this one, Disney has the rights to this one now, Sony has that, Marvel and Netflix will continue to run this, while Disney and Marvel will control that. I try to stay naive to so much of that nonsense but when things start getting canceled or changed in ways that are silly I have no choice but to figure out why.

Marvel released a statement saying “Marvel is extremely grateful to the huge audience that loved Marvel's Daredevil. From the moment of young Matt's first act of heroism to the birth of Page, Murdock, & Nelson, it has been an unbelievable journey. We are incredibly proud of the amazing showrunners and writers starting with Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight, Marco Ramirez and Doug Petrie and Erik Oleson, Charlie Cox, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Vincent D'Onofrio and our casts who brought our characters to life with such excellence, and every one of the fantastic crews in NYC. We look forward to more adventures with the Man without Fear in the future.”

Many will be looking forward to maybe a Daredevil movie in the future. Meh. Like I said, I am good with how the last season ended. There ain't nothing a movie could tell me that I want to know. What I liked about Daredevil was that it was not like the movies. They would make the vaguest of connections to the films but I liked the street level-ness of it. I don't want to see a $150 million Daredevil movie. I liked the gritty feel of the show and having characters that would not show up in films. If Daredevil pops up in a future film I won't be mad. But I also won't be mad if he never does. I just don't want to pay another $10 a month to watch Marvel shit.

Click here for previous You Had One Job.

No comments: