Saturday, December 15, 2018

The Review: Devilman Crybaby



Devilman Crybaby 9/10

I watched this insane ass anime on Netflix the other day. It is a ten part series called Devilman: Crybaby. I knew who Devilman was visually. I've seen the character for years but never read anything or watched anything with the character so while watching I didn't have anything to compare it to which I tend to like. Unless I go and ruin all that like I did by reading the Altered Carbon books after watching the series which made me post-dislike the entire show and made me wish it had not aired. But that's not what this is about. Devilman is about a kinda geeky kid named Akira Fudo and his friend he has not seen in years named Ryo Asuka. Ryo show sup out of nowhere flashing a machine gun and racing off with Akira telling him about his adventures in South America and how demons are a real thing and Akira has to help him stop them.


Ryo takes Akira to a club that is filled with drugs, sex, and all the boozing mixed with drugs and sex. Ryo wants to awaken a demon named Anon so he grabs a bottle, breaks it, and starts stabbing and slicing the shit out of everyone. Demons start popping out of folks, eating folks, vaginas are eating people, and Ryo is filming it all. Suddenly just as he is about to be eaten Aria turns into Devilman. It looks pretty damned insane and I loved it. Akira shows up at school taller, a bigger bulge in his shorts, and the fastest runner on the team. There is way more to this story that I can't get into unless I covered each episode individually. What seems to be a show about horny teens and demons turns into way more than that.


If you ever thought that a cartoon couldn't make you think about the way humanity treats each other then you are wrong. There is a scene where this guy struggles to kill his own child that is a demon. People being super open with their friends and enemies. Don't even get me started on the current social issues dealt with, politics, sexuality, and bullying. I know it sounds like it could be preachy but it manages to not be which is a magic trick few shows can pull off. It also has really good Japanese hip hop which was a nice surprise.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: