Sunday, December 23, 2018

Best Movies Of The Year 2018



This has been a really rough year for movies for Dante. Yeah, third person. Handle it. There were good movies at the start of the year and then a few at the end. I had hoped that most of my favorite movies would not just be superhero films but they just keep making good superhero films so they made my list. There have been some good TV shows and perhaps I'll make a list of some new and recent series I think you should check out. I know that it is getting close to that time of year where the Oscar films come out and it is always some true story I don't give a damn about or something about uplifting struggles. Fuck all that. I don't go to the movies for reality which is why BlacKkKlansman is not on here. Fuck the multiple endings to that movie and the news footage shown. There are a couple of movies like that one where my rating was not high enough to be the best and not low enough to be the worst. So here are in my opinion the Best Movies Of The Year 2018.


"Marvel has gotten much better at having bad guys that have a right to be bad. They are not smoke monsters or just want to take over the world because they had a bad day. Killmonger uses factual history regarding Africans and Black people to support his cause. Not saying it's right...but I understand."

I still love this movie. Yeah, in hindsight I may have given it a 9/10 based on the video game looking final fight between Black Panther and Killmonger, but that doesn't take away from the goodness of this movie or how important it is to see a Black comic book character that does not come from the streets. I hope that in the next movie we get to see more of Wakanada which was such a magical place that people thought the shit was real and wanted to plan trips there. There is a Wakanda Park but it is in Wisconsin and good luck finding women that look like the ones in this film there.


"This entire movie was like a congratulations for sticking around for so long and I am glad I am around to see it. There is also a scene at the end that gives a clue to a new character that I nerded out over while listening to people in the theater audibly shrug not knowing who it was. I did and I can't wait for that movie either! Take all my money, Marvel!"

I still feel the same way and when this comes on Netflix in a few days I'll be watching it every two days until Disney rips it from my angry, Black hands. This movie should not have worked and should not have been as good as it was. I sat in the theater having all kinds of emotions watching so many characters brought together and others introduced so perfectly. The culmination of almost twenty film made over ten years paid off in the best way.


"This is better than the first film and Ryan Reynolds needs to be congratulated for making one of the best superhero movies. I heard some review where they got tired of the fourth wall stuff but I loved it and it led to one of the best scenes in this movie at the end."

I fucking loved this movie. I laughed so hard so often and hope that they never stop making these. From the use of C-list characters to finally giving Juggernaut the respect he deserves this movie did so many things right that should not have been possible.


"I saw this after Camille told me about seeing it and saying that even though she has not seen many movies this year this is the best one. I saw it this morning and was blown the hell away by it."

I never got around to writing a spoiler filled review for this and am glad because I know a lot of folks still have not seen this and I really wish that they would. This movie was creative as fuck, funny as hell, and had so many things happen that my body was not ready for. Looking back at this years batch of films this one is still my favorite one and I can not wait to watch it repeatedly. If you did not see this because the trailer did not appeal to you I suggest you get your hands on this because the trailer is not even 10% of what this movie is about.


"This movie is less of a gangster film and more of a love story. It was crazy watching these same actors change over almost two decades but this movie was so much more than just that gimmick. Trying to watch someone who had a dream life put on hold and then having it crushed and trying to rebuild while still holding onto a past that had moved on or became toxic."

This one got me late in the year and I hope that a lot of people get the chance to see it. This is not an action movie but has some tense moments. This is one of those movies where people get a lot across by looking at one another than by shouting which makes some emotions seem stronger.


"I'm starting to become a fan of suspense films. I normally do not watch many of them and tend to lean towards movies where things explode or fights happen with cool effects. I was wrong maybe five times while trying to figure out where the daughter was and who took her. These movies prove I'm the worst detective ever."

Another late in the year one thanks to AFI. This movie is all in Spanish so if you are feeling like a lazy eyed mofo you won't get as much enjoyment out of this great suspenseful film. While watching this I thought I had it all figured out so many times to be proven wrong. I do not mind being proven wrong when I had a chance to be right. When this gets a hopefully wide release people will be talking about it. Unless they are stupid in which case they will once its on video.


"He heads off to get his revenge an it is bloody as hell. He finds the biker gang and attacks one but gets captured. After fighting a few of them off he heads to their kitchen where he finds their LSD. He puts just a drop on his tongue and gets sent into outer space. Just. A. Drop. That biker gang were drinking the shit like water. He also snorts some coke because why not."

This is one of those movies that I want to watch with a group of fun people. This is not one of those movies for people that use words like "triggered" in daily conversation. This film is violent, bloody as fuck, and insane but it works in the best way. I don't think this could have been done with anyone other than Nic Cage because if you look at his career he has the ability to be scary as hell but also likable at the same time. See this movie. Now.

No comments: