Sunday, January 9, 2011

Theater Whore: Black Swan


I got mind raped last night. Headed out to see Black Swan directed by Darren Aronofsky (The Wrestler, The Fountain, Requiem For A Dream) and I only knew a couple things about this film. Lesbian shit, ballet, and crazy makeup. Doesn’t seem like much of a reason to see something but I love Portman and the film looked cool. I hated The Wrestler but loved The Fountain so I decided to give old Aronofsky another try.

The film stars Natalie Portman (The Professional, Brothers, V For Vendetta) as Nina Sayers, a ballet dancer who is following in her mothers (Barbara Hershey) footsteps. If you walked into this girls room you would think she was 9. Bunnies and pink crap everywhere. A new girl shows up to the school who doesn’t seem to give a fuck but dances great played by Mila Kunis (That 70’s Show, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Family Guy) as Lily. Vincent Cassel (Eastern Promises, Ocean’s 13, Brotherhood of the Wolf) stars as Thomas Leroy the guy running the Swan Lake play.

I cant figure out how to really discuss this movie without spoiling it or sounding like a fucking madman. The makeup and special effects are damn near stunning. You start feeling as if you’re going crazy along with Nina. I was beginning to wonder of what she did was real or did she imagine it. The scars on her back? Are they real? Is she really bleeding? Did she have sex with that girl? If not then why not? Is her mother really crazy or just super protective of her unstable daughter? So many questions!

Oh, and Winona fucking Ryder is in this film and makes you remember why she is such a good actress. No mention of her in reviews or ads but she is indeed in this film. Many people may not know who Vincent Cassel is and if you don’t may I suggest you look up some of his French films. He is amazing in pretty much whatever he does. Mila Kunis has come a long way from being the ditzy chick on That 70’s Show. I mean, out of that whole cast who knew she would be “the one”? And Natalie Portman pulls off some amazing stuff in this film dancing and acting wise.

I enjoyed this film so much but like I said, I felt like I got mind raped. My friend had to sit on it for a few hours before she realized she liked the film. Films like this don’t come out often. Off the top of my head the ones I can think of are Jacob’s Ladder, Momento, and A Scanner Darkly (also starring Winona Ryder). If you need a break from the 3D fuckfest we’ve been suffering through the past year head out and see Black Swan.

No comments: