Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Review: The Defiant Ones


The Defiant Ones 10/10

Perfect! I watched the documentary The Defiant Ones on HBO Now (which is a great app but set up terribly) and loved every damned hour of it. It is set up in four parts chronicling the lives and careers and how they crossed paths of Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine. Also proud that I now know how to pronounce the name Iovine and what the hell a music producer even does. Before watching I thought they were just kinda names attached to things that don't really do anything but lend their famous names. This starts off at the end and works its way back around in such a clever way that I didn't get annoyed that the story switched up.


This documentary made me realize even more why I did not enjoy the Straight Outta Compton movie. It left out some really important stuff and changed history around that I knew was not true and could have easily been left out the movie. In this it is shown for what it truly was and even has interviews from those involved. In Dre's story I liked how they covered his marriage, his obsession with perfection, all the artists he brought up with interviews from them like Snoop, The DOC, Eminem, and Kendrick Lamar. With Iovine they had his family describe what he was like, other producers and record executives, artists he worked with, and even all the failures involved. I think this you'll like this if you are a fan of Dre, music, good documentaries, or want to get an inside look into how difficult it is to be in the music industry as well as why it pays (sometimes literally) to step outside your comfort zone.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: