Saturday, March 26, 2011

Theater Whore: Sucker Punch


“If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.”

Holy shit. I swear. I was excited about this movie months ago after Alex told me about the trailer. I watched it, wiped my pants off, and patiently waited until this came out. Some people said it looked silly. Some said it looked like it wouldn’t be good. I said “I don’t care what this movie is like. If there are hot chicks wearing almost nothing and shooting robots and shit, I’ll see it.”

I got what I wanted! I got what I wanted and more. I will try not to spoil this too much because I want people to see this movie and still have some surprises if they see it. Before I get started allow me to state how amazing the soundtrack for this film was. I will be buying it this week because I haven’t gotten this many goose bumps from music in a film since Goodfellas and Snatch.

The movie stars Emily Browning (The Uninvited, Lemony Snicket’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events, Ned Kelly) as Baby Doll. After a terrible accident at home she is locked in an asylum. An asylum of hot ass chicks! I’m serious. Even the girls in the background are hot. Ones that don’t have lines. Just walking around being crazy and hot.

Her therapist who is also fucking hot Carla Gugino (Sin City, Watchmen, American Gangster) Dr. Vera Gorski tells her to cope with her tragedy and the asylum she should create an escape world. She does. The asylum is now a club being run by an evil promoter who is a doctor in the real world Oscar Isaac (Body Of Lies, Robin Hood, All About The Benjamins) who has a burlesque show and after discovering how good Baby Doll was he plans on “giving” her to High Roller played by John Hamm (Mad Men, The Town, The Day The Earth Stood Still). Before this happens she has to solve a series of puzzles/missions.

After saving one of the girls from a fat nasty ass cook she becomes friends with some of the other patients. Abbey Cornish (Limitless, Bright Star) as Sweet Pea. Jena Malone (Donnie Darko, Saved!, The Ruins) as Rocket. Vanessa Hudgens (High School Musical, Beastly) as Blondie. And finally Jamie Chung (Dragon Ball, Grown Ups, Sorority Row) as Amber. Their guide Scott Glenn (Silence Of The Lambs, The Bourne Ultimatum, Training Day) Wise Man gives them their clues and weapons during each mission.

I’ll stop there because I don’t want to ruin anything. Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen, Dawn Of The Dead) directed and helped write this cool ass movie. Like I said, the soundtrack was great. The action was fast paced and didn’t rely on blurry action shots. Zack Snyder likes slow motion but in this film it was used at all the right times. Every chick played their role perfectly. Every actor was properly assigned their role. And the story is far deeper than the trailers would have you believe. I say see this before it gets ruined by loud mouthed ass friends or the trailers. Its so worth seeing in a theater!

No comments: