Saturday, July 2, 2011

Theater Whore: Bridesmaids


This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!

This movie was funny. There’s your review! But seriously, Bridesmaids was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I was going to say this year but in all honesty, I haven’t laughed that hard throughout a movie since Stepbrothers and everyone knows how much I loved that film.

The movie stars Kristen Wiig (How To Train Your Dragon, Knocked Up, SNL) as Annie. Annie has a failed cake business that she literally watches fall apart (like when someone changes the name from “Cake Baby” to “Cock Baby”). She is so cheap that she sneaks and watches people exercise in the park so she doesn’t have to pay. A very funny cameo by Terry Crews (The Expendables, Everybody Hates Chris, Get Smart).

She lives with two of the strangest roommates ever who have you laughing just by looking at them (Rebel Wilson and Matt Lucas). Her mom (Jill Clayburgh) is…strange. And now her best friend since school Lillian played by Maya Rudolph (SNL, Idiocracy, 50 First Dates) is getting married leaving Annie feeling alone and scared. Scared because of Lillian’s new best friend, Helen played by Rose Byrne (X Men First Class, Sunshine, 28 Weeks Later) is perfect.

Between food poisoning while trying on dresses and the bride shitting in the street, being kicked out by your strange ass roommates, an asshole Annie sleeps with (“This is so awkward. I really want you to leave, but I don't know how to say it without sounding like a dick”), and being kicked off a plane for being drunk and taking pills (“It's called civil rights. This is the '90s”), Annie is having a hell of a time.

God, there’s so much to say about this movie but I don’t want to spoil everything. This movie is very funny and will have you laughing your ass off. Chris O’Dowd (Gulliver’s Travels, Dinner For Schumcks) is great as Officer Rhodes. Jon Hamm (Mad Men, Suckerpunch, The Town) as Annie’s fuck buddy Ted had me dying with lines like “How about a little lap nap?” which was code for road head. I mean, damn!

The bridesmaids themselves were all perfect. Wendi McLendon-Covey (Reno 911) as Rita just wanting to go to Vegas to have “balls in” her face. Melissa McCarthy (Kim Possible, Mike & Molly, The Backup Plan) as Megan steals the scene every single fucking time she is on camera! Ellie Kemper (The Office, Get Him To The Greek) as Becca, the new bride who has no idea what she is missing out on in life.

I am really leaving a lot of other people out of this. This movie had me laughing so much. Not just giggling, but full on spitting my soda laughing. I would own this movie. Kristen Wiig was perfect for this film. Everyone was. I have absolutely nothing bad to say because there was nothing bad about this. I guess this is what The Hangover was supposed to feel like.

No comments: