Friday, April 28, 2017

Theater Whore: Colossal


Colossal 9/10

This fucking movie. I swear. I did not expect so many movies to come out this year that would blow me away out of nowhere. Free Fire did it. Now this one has. Colossal is a movie I heard a review about and thought nothing of it really. I knew the stars of it from other movies and TV shows but it didn't seem that interesting. But then I decided to say fuck it and check this out. This movie was nothing like what I was expecting and I am not going to spoil all of it because I want folks to see this and be as surprised as I was at things that happened.


Anne Hathaway is this girl named Gloria. She is an alcoholic and the way they portray it is very realistic. She isn't shouting, stumbling, or fighting with everyone she crosses. She oversleeps, doesn't work, neglects her boyfriend, and is a general fuck up. One morning after coming home after a night out her boyfriend, sick of her shit, already has her bags packed for her to leave. You get the feeling that this has happened so many times that he is over even yelling at her. He is just disappointed and wants her gone. She ends up back at her small town and finds her friend Oscar played by Jason Sudeikis. He runs a bar that his family owned which is perfect since she likes to drink.


One day she wakes up and sees a news story from South Korea of a monster that appears at the same time each night and hasn't been seen in 25 years destroying the city. One day while watching Gloria notices that the monster has some of the same gestures that she does and begins to experiment by raising her arm in the air and then later watching a news broadcast of it. I'll be damned if it doesn't do exactly what she does! I am not going to say anything else but this movie went in a direction that I was not expecting. If you like movies that surprise you and you can't really compare to anything else like Swiss Army Man then by all means check this out. Its at the Arclight near me on Sunset. This is a good, original movie. The trailer does it no justice.

Click here for previous Theater Whore.

No comments: