Thursday, July 20, 2017

Theater Whore: Baby Driver


Baby Driver 10/10

If I rated movies higher than 10 Baby Driver would have been the first to get it. I fucking loved this movie. I decided to check this out today because I was just sitting here and was gonna dick around when I remembered that I had wanted to see this in theaters. I figured that I'd like this because I like Edgar Wright's previous movies but I had no idea that I would not want this movie to end and want to see it again as soon as it was over.


Ansel Elgort is Baby. No last name given. He is just Baby. Deal with it. He is the driver for bank robbers. His boss calls, he drives, and gets paid. Pretty simple. The first team he works with is Griff, Buddy, and Darling played by Jon Bernthal, Jon Hamm, and Eiza González. While waiting for them to return he listens to music and it is very entertaining. You wouldn't think watching a kid sit in the car playing music is more entertaining than watching a bank robbery but in this film it works. I loved seeing these people together immediately which doesn't always happen when I watch movies but I loved it here.


Back at home Baby meets up with his father who is deaf and in a wheelchair. You will know immediately that it is his adopted father. His father does not want him working for Doc anymore played Kevin Spacey. He considers it dirty money. Baby knows but also thinks that after this one last job he will have his debt paid. You learn this debt later in the film. Baby ends up at this diner listening to music and hears this girl singing. Her name is Debora and she is played by Lily James. I have a crush on her face. They end up liking each other immediately. She wants to just get in a car and leave town. Baby wants the same.


The next team Baby has to work with is full of psychos lead by Jamie Foxx playing Bats. He is not professional at all. He is high as shit, violent, and will kill for close to no reason. He hates Baby. He wants to know why he listens to music instead of paying attention to the details of the heist. Doc explains that Baby has tinnitus which is a ringing in his ear. They explain how it happened and it sucks. During a job Bats loses all of his shit and kills everyone there. He tells Doc that he knew one of the guys was a cop and Doc is like “Yeah. He was my cop.” At this point I am just waiting for someone important to die because that is where its heading.


A lot of reviews I've read about this comparing it to Guardians Of The Galaxy as if that was the first movie to incorporate music into the story in creative ways. I wouldn't compare these two movies at all. Loved both of them but they didn't remind me of each other. The mixture of music to action blew me away and was something I'd only seen in trailers for films. Hell, I saw it in a trailer for another movie this morning. This film does a lot of things creatively that in other movies would sound like a good idea but come off as a trick or cheesy. I don't wanna spoil much of this movie because it has a fairly simple premise but comes across as so damned good. I seriously fucking loved this movie! Go see it!

Click here for previous Theater Whore.

No comments: