Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Review: Black Lightning



Black Lighting 3/10

What a fitting number considering I only watched three episodes. To be fair...to myself, I was ready to be done halfway through the first episode but decided for some reason to watch a few more. I was hoping that it would get better and that the first episode was just the series Black Lightning getting its footing. It didn't three episodes in so I tapped out. They have this on Netflix so I checked it out and I wasn't disappointed because I had zero expectations for this. I don't watch any of the DC shows on CW anymore. I gave up on Flash years ago after it had been amazing and wanted another good series to check out. This was not it.


Cress Williams is Jefferson Pierce aka Black Lightning. He comes out of superhero retirement wile also being the principal of a school. He has two daughters that end up developing (I lasted long enough to see one get them) and a wife he is trying to get back with. It is not very interesting. The guy looks good as Black Lightning but watching him fight is ridiculous, especially a scene where he is on a rooftop trying to hide and he is glowing in the dark. One of the best things about this show is the bad guy played by Marvin “Krondon” Jones III. Dude needs to be playing this part on another show because he is too good for this. He is fucking terrifying.


I am not gonna sit here and list what could have made this show better because I don't have that much time nor have I ever written a series. I just didn't dig this show. The acting was inconsistent. The tone jumped all over the place between political, racial, funny, and straight up mothers being shot dead in the street violent. This show is dependent on everyone not saying what needs to be said or doing exactly the wrong thing to keep it moving which means it'll be on the air for seasons to come.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: