Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The Review: Locke And Key


Locke And Key Pffft!/10

Legit could barely make it through the first episode of Locke And Key so there will not be a review of the entire season. Back in maybe 2012 a coworker started letting me borrow the comic book and I loved it. I don't remember enough of it to complain about how it is different than this series or anything. This starts off with a guy sticking a key into his chest and then bursting into flames blowing up a house. This Locke family consisting of the mom, two sons, and a daughter. The oldest son Tyler is a stereotypical teenage son. Moody, smokes weed, doesn't want anything to do with anyone. The teenage daughter Kinsey is a stereotypical teenage girl. Moody and doesn't want anything to do with anyone. And the youngest son Bode is one of the main reasons I could barely make it past this episode. I know that I had heard about this show being made or trying to be made for years. Maybe it shouldn't have been. There are certain books I would love to see in film form and a series like this makes me happy no one has tried.


The family moves from Seattle to a small town into a home the family owns. The older kids hate it because teens. The youngest son goes wandering off for fun and running around with his Polaroid. He takes a picture down a well and the photo falls down it. It mysteriously comes back and the kid shouts down it about his echo and the well responds. No one believes him. At school the family tragedy is talked about when the kids are in earshot and they say nothing. This show fucked up by not showing the tragedy first because until they do the family just sucks. By the time they show it I already stopped caring and when the episode ended I knew that I could not watch another minute of this. It looks good. The show looks good. But the acting was just killing me particularly Bode. If you have read any reviews I have done with movies involving children I get mad at ones that act badly because there are ones that don't. It is possible. But the kid in this looked too old to be acting as dumb as he was. Some folks like this though. I wish I were one of them.

Darby Stanchfield as Nina Locke 
Connor Jessup as Tyler Locke 
Emilia Jones as Kinsey Locke
Jackson Robert Scott as Bode Locke 

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: