Saturday, January 30, 2021

The Review: Sylvie's Love


Sylvie's Love 9/10


This movie was cute as fuck. I watched Sylvie's Love and was kinda hesitant because of the time period. If a movie has Black people and it is in the early 1960's I automatically think that it is gonna be about the struggle and sometimes I don't wanna watch people my skin color struggling in real life and in entertainment. Sometimes I want them to be happy, dance, do weird shit, or like this movie, just be in a relationship. This came out at the end of the year though I didn't watch it till this one so at the end of the year I will add it to my best of 2021 list because, my god, last year was ass for films. I have a list I made. It'll be up soon and is nothing but TV shows.



Back to this. This is about a saxophone player named Robert who needs some side money and applies for a position at a record store run by Sylvie's father. He digs her but she is waiting for her fiancĂ© to get back from the war so that they can get married. I thought she was just saying this to get Robert to leave her alone. Her father hears her conversation and hires Robert immediately. She sees him perform and he knows that she is into him but wont do anything because of her man. Things happen and they end up smooching. She says it was a mistake but they end up doing it again and even having the sex. Sylvie's mother has raised her to be prim and proper and not to marry below “her station.” She ends up falling for him hard just as he is set to leave for Paris for months and she discovers something shocking. I ain't gonna spoil it for y'all but, holy shit, I was shocked. This was a great movie. It was the first time in a long time that it felt like I was watching an actual film. Beautifully shot, great acting, and soothing and fun music. Check this out on Amazon.

Tessa Thompson as Sylvie Parker

Nnamdi Asomugha as Robert Halloway

Aja Naomi King as Mona

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: