Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Aaliyah Movie Ain't Happening


Did you know that there was an Aaliyah movie in the works? Yeah, its true. Whenever I hear about a movie being made about a singer I always have to check out who is playing the part. In this case it is a young girl named Zendaya Coleman. Now, she doesn't look like Aaliyah except for the fact that they are both light skinned. This really shouldn't matter because plenty of biographies have stars that look nothing like the real person. 

Best example is Angela Bassett as Tina Turner in What's Love Got To Do With It. She looked nothing like that woman but it worked out fine because her acting was so damned good.

So good!

I say a movie was in the works but that isn't true since members of Aaliyah's family were pissed from the start that it was being made. One of her cousins named Jomo Jankerson (these names, these names...) who is also the president of her label Blackground Records said “It's never been about the actress. The problem that we have is that Aaliyah was an icon and she deserves an iconic tribute, not a Lifetime movie.” Come on now. Let'snot get carried away. “We want a major studio release along the lines of 'What’s Love Got to Do With It,' the Tina Turner movie. This needs A-list actors, A-list talent that can breathe life into what we think is a phenomenal story.” Yeah...but no. Not at all.

I know that folks loved this girl as a human and musician, but I would never classify her as an icon. This is one of those things where someone dies tragically young and their legacy becomes stronger than reality. You know what I knew Aaliyah for? Being cute as fuck and possibly maybe allegedly banging R. Kelly when she was just 16 years old.

Proof!

Some people were mad as hell at Zendaya for even taking the role. “I just felt the project wasn’t 100% there. I feel that production-wise, everything just felt a little rushed” she said to calm everyone's tits. “And I think because she's someone I admire and I love so much, it can't be done halfway, or not to the standards I think it should be done at, so I just decided not to do it. By all means, when the right project comes along and it's done the right way, I'll be the first person ready to play Aaliyah, but this wasn't the right one for me. I've been into Aaliyah since I was little, so there wasn't too much getting into character. I always pretend I'm her anyway.”

"Please don't hurt me now..."

Just in case you're wondering, this is a movie that will not be made. Ever. It's gonna be on cable like it was originally planned but for whatever reason Aaliyah's family thinks there's a lot of money to be made from her. Before she died Aaliyah did a few movies and they were...yeah. If they do a movie I know they won't cover the R. Kelly stuff. They have already said they won't show the plane crash that led to her death. She was 22 when she died and while she did accomplish a lot, it isn't enough to make me even kinda want to watch a film about it. 

No comments: