Sunday, December 11, 2016

The Review: The Princess Bride


The Princess Bride 8/10

I finally watched the movie The Princess Bride from 1987. I know, I know. So soon, right? I only knew a few things about this movie like the guy from Saw was in this (Cary Elwes), Andre The Giant was in it, and Ruben from Dead Like Me (Mandy Patinkin) was there. So imagine my shock when Wonder Years is being read this story by Columbo. That is pretty much why I gave this a score less than 10. Whenever the movie would stop when Fred Savage would whine or complain I was yanked right out of the movie. It didn't need him or his grandfather and I wish there was a version without their little interludes.


This is about a guy named Westley that works on the farm for this lady named Buttercup played by Robin Wright. The guy that is pretty much her servant has only said “As you wish” to her since they were children and one day she realizes what he meant was “I love you.” They fall in love and one day he has to go and is told that he was captured and killed. She ends up being forced to Marry Prince Humperdinck played by Christopher Sarandon (who used to be married to Susan and she kept his name after they divorced). She is miserable as hell and one day is kidnapped to be used to start a war by Vizzini played by Wallace Shawn and his henchmen Inigo Montoya and Fezzik. The Man In Black is tracking them down and defeats both Montoya and Fezzik in battle as the prince follows them.


This was a really fun movie with cool fight scenes, amazing writing and banter between the characters, and a lot of quotable lines. I wish I had seen this when I was younger. I don't feel that much with a lot of films people consider classics or assumed I watched because of my age.

Click here for previous The Review

No comments: