Saturday, March 30, 2019

The Review: Spider-Man Into The Spider Verse



Spider-Man Into The Spider Verse 9/10

There will be spoilers. Yesterday I watched Spider-Man: Into The Spider Verse with B&H. This was a damn good movie. I know I am super late to the game with that opinion but I am also glad that I waited because there was so much hype regarding this. I regret not seeing this in theaters except for one scene where I would have embarrassed myself laughing at one scene where Miles has hair and pigeons stuck to his hands while he walks across windows with his shirt pulled over his head. I could not stop laughing at that scene and it is one of the hardest I have laughed at a movie in years.


This movie starts off with Miles Morales being sent to a new school. He does not want to but he is kind of too good to keep on the path that he wants to stay on. He tries to be cool at his new school and even gets some tips from his uncle Aaron on how to talk to a new girl. Miles and his uncle head to an old train station and do some graffiti. Miles is good at it and his uncle and father used to do it when they were younger. Miles ends up getting bit by a spider and it is very dramatic. They show his blood changing and dramatic music playing and then...he quietly slaps it off. Miles, after experiencing all manner of nonsense trying to figure out what is happening to him goes in search of the spider that bit him and stumbles into a battle between Green Goblin and Spider-Man. There are different versions of these characters so I was shocked at how huge he was. Kingpin ends up killing an incapacitated Spider-Man. I was like “Holy shit!” He just pounded him to death! Next thing you know some dude named The Prowler chases Miles down.


Kingpin wants to build this machine that will open up other dimensions so he can pretty much yank his wife and son from another reality and keep them. His actual wife and son died in a car accident after racing away from him when he was beating the shit out of Spider-Man previously. By the way, I love that Kingpin is so damned big and scary in this. And that he is in this. People tend to just associate him with Daredevil these days. Spider-Man gives a small device to Miles that will help destroy the machine and he ends up breaking it practicing Spider-Man moves. After visiting Spider-Man's grave (he is for real dead) he ends up electrocuting another Spider-Man. This Peter Parker is from another reality. The machine is boning down reality and pulling Spider-Folk from different realities.


This Peter is Spider-Man but kind of a loser version that has pretty much given up. The new girl that Miles likes turns out to be Spider-Gwen. The is also Spider-Man Noir, Spider-Ham, and Peni Parker. So many spiders! I loved the way this movie was able to mix comedy, action, and drama. Oh, the drama! There are really some scenes in this that felt real. Miles father Jefferson Davis has some of the best acting scenes that could hold up against anything not animated. Loved this version of Doctor Octopus. The voice acting was all really good and when I found out who did these voices I was shocked. They also managed to use new music that didn't make me want to punch myself in the dick. I am not gonna download the soundtrack or anything but I do want that Prowler theme. Great movie. Great story. And I didn't have to see Uncle Ben die for the hundredth time!

Shameik Moore as Miles Morales/Spider-Man
Jake Johnson as Peter B. Parker/Spider-Man
Hailee Steinfeld as Gwen Stacy/Spider-Woman
Mahershala Ali as Aaron Davis/Prowler
Brian Tyree Henry as Jefferson Davis
Lily Tomlin as Aunt May
Luna Lauren Velez as Rio Morales
John Mulaney as Peter Porker/Spider-Ham
Kimiko Glenn as Peni Parker/SP//dr
Zoƫ Kravitz as Mary Jane Watson
Nicolas Cage as Peter Parker/Spider-Man Noir
Kathryn Hahn as Olivia “Liv” Octavius/Doctor Octopus
Liev Schreiber as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: