Saturday, November 27, 2021

The Review: The Harder They Fall



The Harder The Fall 10/10


This gonna have spoilers. I fucking loved this movie. Just everything about it. I have no complaints. Even things I would normally complain about in films and TV that The Harder They Fall did managed to work. I tend to cringe when modern movie is used in movies about the past but for whatever reason in this it made it better like some kind of damn magic trick. I knew that this was coming out and some of the cast got me excited but I didn't watch a trailer thankfully because I did afterward and they showed way too much cool shit.



This movie starts off with a small family in prayer before eating dinner. This guy named Rufus Buck shows up with his gang and the father is begging for him to leave his family alone. I thought that the father who is now a preacher was a part of his gang or something and Rufus was coming back for money or revenge. I was very wrong. Rufus has the mother shot dead and the father and then carves a cross in the little boys head. It was fucked up. Fast forward to a church where one of the guys from Rufus' gang shows up to collect from the church and the young boy who is now a man named Nat Love shoots him in one of the coolest looking title sequences I have ever seen.



Rufus has been captured and is in transport when his gang shows up and they are terrifying. It is always scarier when a group of violent people are polite and quiet. They are led by Trudy Smith and Cherokee Bill. By the way, all these people were real people and will lead you down all kinds of rabbit holes looking them up. So they get Rufus free and have a bunch of criminal ass soldiers killed and make their way to a small town. Turns out the mayor is a guy that used to run with Rufus but got too big for his britches. The gang needs more money from the town and to control it but half that money was taken by Nat who steals from people that steal. He's sort of a hero.



In another town he finds Stagecoach Mary who used to be in Nat's crew but now owns a club and performs. Nat is arrested but it is a plan to leave his old gang out of this drama because he is dead set on killing Rufus and knows its pretty much a suicide mission. Am I gonna sit here and continue recapping this movie? Nope. Why? Its my blog and I don't always do that and I gave this a 10/10 so you should know I thought this movie kicked all the ass and if you haven't seen it yet you should definitely check it out. The acting was incredible. Everyone knocked it out of the park. The action in this was so cool and they did camera stuff from old Westerns while combining it with a new style I hadn't seen before. This came out on Netflix but I would have easily seen this in theaters.

Jonathan Majors as Nat Love

Idris Elba as Rufus Buck

Zazie Beetz as Stagecoach Mary

Regina King as Trudy Smith

Delroy Lindo as Bass Reeves

Lakeith Stanfield as Cherokee Bill

RJ Cyler as Jim Beckwourth

Danielle Deadwyler as Cuffee

Edi Gathegi as Bill Pickett

Deon Cole as Wiley Escoe

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: