Saturday, January 12, 2019

The Review: Norsemen Season 1



Norsemen Season One 9/10

I loved this show. I had seen that it was on Netflix but thought it was another show like Vikings. I had watched the first two seasons of that show and by the third thought to myself “This is the same thing over and over” and lost interest. So thinking this was a knock off version I never gave it a shot. Never mind the fact that Netflix is notorious for having posters that make me actively not want to give things a try. So while listening to the Joe Rogan Experience comedian Greg Fitzsimmons mentioned this show and how funny it was. I had no idea it was a comedy. None! More people need to be watching and talking about this damned show but I am afraid the advertising is hurting that possibility. This is a Norwegian series and so far there are two seasons and unlike here in America where we make seasons with damn near 30 episodes wasting 20 of them on filler this one and the second have 6 episodes that are about half an hour each. Love it. My spell check is gonna hate me when I start typing the casts names.


Immediately this show sets its tone. A slave on a ship heading to where the vikings stay starts complaining and asking about pay and I said “Okay, I'm in.” Everyone is easy to tell apart and has their own weird shit about themselves. Arvid played by Nils Jørgen Kaalstad loves to raid places and is super nice. I did not expect his character to be so likable. He shouldn't be. He can't get an erection unless he thinks the sex is taking place while raiding a village. It works! I know I sound insane but this works. Silje Torp as Frøya who is the only woman that goes on raids and rapes the men and collects their wangs. Loved this actress. Want to see her in everything. Kåre Conradi is Orm and is a total scumbag. He ends up killing his brother so he can become chief even though the chief wanted Arvid to lead his people. Orm also has very homosexual tendencies but pretends he is the most straight. He is also running the village into the ground with bad ideas. The slave I mentioned earlier is Rufus played by Trond Fausa Aurvåg. He is an actor and trying to bring culture. There is also a guy named Kark who is a voluntary slave played by Øystein Martinsen. There are also a lot of other people I can't mention because then I would be breaking down each of them and that is too much and you should just watch the show anyway.


Is this show violent? Yes. But in the funniest of ways. It has the kinda violence like how that knight in Monty Python that gets his arms cut off spurting blood but still wants to fight kinda violence. The violence is so silly that it is silly to get upset about it. Plus it is from another country and people tend to be more lenient on their judgment in that regard. A man gets straight up cut perfectly in half. I laughed my ass off. I saw a box of dildos and laughed. This show made me laugh a lot and has the feel of something like Monty Python, Black Adder, or Hot Fuzz. American shows do not do humor like this. I plan on watching season two tonight and laughing some more. This show is written well, looks amazing, and stayed entertaining the entire season.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: