Sunday, January 6, 2019

The Review: Forever



Forever 9/10

I fucking loved this show and this will be full of spoilers. If you have not seen this show I would suggest you check it out before even reading this because I knew nothing about this show going in except who was in it. Cam (who also writes reviews you should check out) expressed interest in it but the trailer for it shows nothing really but she was drawn in by the vibe of it. So today instead of watching a movie I've seen before I decided to check out Forever on Amazon and I am super glad that I did. On paper this does not sound like a super interesting show and it what kept me watching the first episode all the way through was the chemistry between Fred Armisen as Oscar Hoffman and Maya Rudolph as June Hoffman. They show the progression of their relationship from first meeting to dating to living together and taking vacation and all the good things about a relationship.


Including how monotonous it can all seem. They did a really good job of showing this and if you look at June's reaction as Oscar brings her dinner every night and how it slowly changes over time. It was very well done. Oscar works as a dentist and June at a timeshare place and their relationship is not bad. It is just fine. June's friend Sharon played by Kym Whitley who I met once in real life and was glad I was seated because I would have dropped to my knee and proposed is happy to be single and wants June to spice up her life a bit. June proposes to Oscar that they go skiing instead of to the cabin like they do every single year. Oscar is hesitant but decides that it could be fun. It's not. It is cold. They have to ski with the kids. They get into an argument and while she is being flirted at by some Canadian dude Oscar decides to try a harder slope after a kid calls him a pussy and ends up crashing into a tree.


June is next seen looking for something to get her internet working when she is approached by an employee and she bursts into tears. Oscar. Is. Dead. Yeah. I didn't see that shit coming! I seriously had no idea that he would die in the first episode of this show! Now June is trying to get along in life. Coworkers act weird around her. She just drinks wine and snacks all night and her house is a mess. Sharon gets into her house and gets her to go outside. They end up at Sharon's church where June kisses the pastor. It is such an awkward ass scene and did not go how I thought. I figured, based on TV logic, that they would start dating. Nope. Sharon and June get into an argument but make up and June decides to try out for a new job. She gets it in a roundabout ass way and is promoted to move to Hawaii.


Then June dies.

I am not shitting you. June dies! She wakes up with Oscar smiling down on her and welcoming her to the afterlife. They all live on a street where there are neighbors and food and anything you could want. It is a lot for June to take in but she gets used to it. A kid named Mark played by Noah Robbins tells them some of the ins and outs of the afterlife there. They can not go too far or else they will get weak and...no one knows. I liked him. He died when he was 17 in the 1970's but is now 53 and floats between the two depending on the situation. A new neighbor named Kase moves in played by Catherine Keener. They don't know what to make of her. She wants nothing to do with them or their hospitality but eventually she and June become close. Too close. There is some stuff that is off about Kase. Over time June starts to realize that, holy shit, I am doing exactly the same things that made me unhappy when I was alive now that I'm dead.


As far as Oscar and June go that is all I want to say without spoiling more than I already have. There is one episode where Hong Chau as Sarah and Jason Mitchell as Andre are at an open house set up by Sarah. He shows up looking at the house for a client and they begin to flirt with one another and spend the day/evening talking and drinking wine and laughing. He makes a move and she lets him know that she is getting married. They have some amazing conversations by the way regarding race, relationships, and life in general. This episode is all talking with two people who are not and were not seen or mentioned in previous episodes and it turned out to be one of my favorites. I am not gonna spoil this one because I'd love for folks to check it out and let me know what they think.


I would suggest this show for people who think they do not have enough time to watch a show let alone a new show. Each episode is 35 minutes or less and there are just eight of them. Some of the best things from last year did not have the best trailers but turned out to be great. I really liked this show and tried to think of other shows that it reminded me of. I can't really think of anything which is rare and good. After every episode I would sit and think about some of the conversations the characters had, ones that were similar to ones I had in the past, and relationships with people I have in my life. Never figured a show like this would do such a thing. Great show. You should all check it out on Amazon.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: