Wednesday, January 30, 2019

The Review: The People V OJ Simpson



The People V OJ Simpson 9/10

If you hated OJ before The People V OJ Simpson you will hate him even more after watching. This aired on 2016 on FX but I watched this on Netflix. When I used to see ads for this I had no desire to watch it. I lived through the shit so there was no need to check this out. But Cam watched it and said that it was really good so I gave it a try and was happy I did. This stars Sterling K. Brown as Christopher Darden, Kenneth Choi as Judge Lance Ito, Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark, David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian, John Travolta as Robert Shapiro, Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran, and Cuba Gooding Jr. as O.J. Simpson. Throughout this series I loved the acting and chemistry between Paulson and Brown. They were really fucking good. I also appreciated the show staying true to how people dressed and noticed that even on the freeway chase scene old cars were on the road. I pay attention to that kinda shit. One thing I did not like though was the budding relationship between the two of them. I doubt that really happened and it made me make cringy sounds.


Like I said, I lived through this and did not think there was anything new I could learn and if there was that it would not be interesting. Oh, I was so wrong. There was all kind of dirty shit happening that I didn't know about. Marcia Clark and her husband fighting over their children while divorcing and her previous husband releasing nude photos of her. Judge Ito's wife lying about knowing a racist ass cop that was very important to the case since he was the one that found OJ's bloody glove. Cochran's domestic abuse past being brought to light. Oh, god. This was before the internet so when people wanted to do you dirty publicly they wouldn't go on Twitter or write a book. They would sell your shit to tabloids or do interviews on shows. It was such a strange and different time. Even while watching I could not believe that the world was handling things so differently.


I loved that they showed the divide between Blacks in Los Angeles and the police. Thanks god that's not a thing anymore, right? When this trial got started it was just a couple years after the LA Riots and even though OJ was not even the biggest fan of Black people they still wanted him to win this case as if it was a victory for them. It wasn't but still. They had a hell of a time getting a jury together and they even showed what it was like for the jurors. All excited to be a apart of the trail until the shit went on and on. They protested, one went crazy, some got let go because they had lied on their questionnaires. This was the first time in my life that a court case was on multiple channels and cutting into TV shows. Hell, I remember sitting in my room and cracking up laughing when they cut into the NBA Finals to show the Bronco chase. I know crazy chases are common. There have been over a dozen in LA that I am aware of so far this year. But this was a chase with a former football player now dude I know from Naked Gun. The dude from Naked Gun killed his ex wife and another guy and is now running from cops with a gun to his head?!


Even though I knew how this ended it was strange knowing that he got away with it. Yeah. I think OJ Simpson is a murderer and some really good lawyers combined with a city ready and looking for a reason to explode and a series of insane ass circumstances ended with a murderer being set free only to fuck up and end up in prison anyway. Fool got more time in prison for trying to take back memorabilia than he did for murdering folks. The performances on this show were good and I did not expect to like this as much as I did. If you told me Travolta, the dude from Friends, and Cuba Gooding Jr. were in something I would enjoy I would laugh in your face. Laugh! But I was wrong. This was good. I also loved the soundtrack. The songs they choose were really good except for the very last one. Good song. Bad time to use it. Check this out if you get the chance. Just click on American Crime Story and choose season one. The second season looks like ass garbage.

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: