Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The Review: Sparkle (1976)


Sparkle 8/10


L. decided that I have not watched enough well known Black films...and its true. I have seen a lot of movies but movies like Sparkle slipped through the cracks. I had heard of it and that En Vogue video imitating it made my voice change and my pants feel funny. So we watched it. I didn't know that it took place in the late 50's. This is about three sisters named Sparkle, Sister, and Delores that start a band with two other dudes named Stix and Levi. Levi leaves and the sisters do it on their own with Stix, like, managing. Sister is the star of the show but gets mixed up with this guy named Satin. There is nothing good about this man. He gets her on drugs and beats her. Eventually Sister ends up dead. Delores is ashamed that their mother is a maid even though she managed to raise them all on her own doing so. Sparkle falls in love with Stix who runs off and leaves her. Stix borrows some money to get Sparkle up and running and its great until he owes some money and is threatened with death to sign over Sparkle's career. This was a good movie with enough good music and story to make it not miserable like a lot of Black led movies tend to be. If you a late ass like me I would suggest checking this out.

Philip M. Thomas as Stix

Irene Cara as Sparkle Williams

Lonette McKee as Sister Williams

Dwan Smith as Delores Williams

Mary Alice as Effie Williams

Dorian Harewood as Levi Brown

Tony King as Satin Struthers

Click here for previous The Review.

No comments: